diy solar

diy solar

SOS Temco crimper

Bluedog225

Texas
I’ve bought big model TH0005 crimper several years ago. I’ve performed perhaps 30 to 50 crimps with it.

I am down to my very last crimp before I commission my system in time to make the December 31 text deadline. 2/0 lug and cable.

It just stopped working. The piston simply moves back-and-forth but does not extend.

The instructions are no help. Just a parts diagram. There is a small o-ring parts kit.

Anyone run into this before? Any tips appreciated.

And, more importantly, is there any way to make a decent crimp with my bench vise?

I only need to light a single bulb.

I haven't as of yet. I use the 12 ton yellow plastic case crimper on Ebay (they have 12 and 16 as well as yellow and blue cases. They range in price of about $44 with all the dies and shipping. Probably easier to find one near you and just buy new while trouble shooting.

Also, does any electrical supply by you have a hammer style crimper?

Lastly, we have big truck rig battery suppliers in our area. They always have a crimper and are making them for the big rigs. You can check your locale for such a place or even a nearby truck stop or truck service center and see if they will do a crimp for you.

Sounds like you have lost hydraulic pressure. Was there a fluid leak? I've got the same model and I think I recall it came with some spare seals. I can't get to it right now, but I don't recall any obvious way it comes apart.

Sounds like you have lost hydraulic pressure. Was there a fluid leak? I've got the same model and I think I recall it came with some spare seals. I can't get to it right now, but I don't recall any obvious way it comes apart.
I got spare seals with mine as well. a local electrical (battery)/truck or audio company could crimp for you if you only need 1 more to finish a job.

In an unheard of stroke a luck, the guy out here, putting in my waterline just retired from being an electrician for a local utility. I asked him if he had a double aught crimper in his truck. He said sure. What are the odds?

The old ways are the best ways.
IMG_9015.jpeg

Last edited:
Internal operation of the hydraulic crimper should be similar to a bottle jack. There's plenty of videos of disassembly and rebuilding those. I'd tear it down and rebuild using bottle jack rebuilds as a general guide.

But, the manual crimper can't develop an internal leak! Plumber to the rescue.

Back