diy solar

diy solar

Source for MEGA fuses

Gould

Hoping someone has some experience they can share. I’m looking for a reliable source for MEGA fuses. I’ve found these but it’s so difficult to gauge reliability. These are the last line of defence at preventing a total melt down so want to be sure I can trust them.

400a MEGA fuse

I’m pretty sure I can trust these as they’re Blue Sea but they don’t have 400a.

Also, coming across a lot of ‘automotive slow burn fuses’, trust I don’t want those?

A five pack of the real fuses and for less than the others? Sold, thanks!

Apologies for the ongoing asks but this forum is so damned knowledgeable. I’m now looking for a suitable ANL fuse holder. There are so many options out there ranging from $15 - $300. It’s for the main protection off of the batteries, 400a, so I want something I can trust but $300?

Apologies for the ongoing asks but this forum is so damned knowledgeable. I’m now looking for a suitable ANL fuse holder. There are so many options out there ranging from $15 - $300. It’s for the main protection off of the batteries, 400a, so I want something I can trust but $300?

What is your intended pack voltage, capacity, and lithium? I ask as this will determine the AIC you need and therefore the type of fuse that should be used.

Class-T is the really preferred here unless only 12V and low capacity - and even then not a bad idea anyhow.

You can get a Class-T fuse and holder for under $100, with the fuse being expensive and 1/2 of that or so (they are higher priced now as seem in short supply)

It’s a 12V lithium pack, 540ah, and 3000W inverter. The fusing off of the bus is pretty straightforward as I’m going with the Victron Lynx Distributor hence the MEGA fuses. I’ve seen the class-t fuses so happy to use them if they are the recommended approach.

To be clear, in the research that I have done they suggest the ANL fuse is to be used as the main fuse between the battery bank and the distribution panel - this is my use case between the batteries and the Lynx.

Last edited:
It’s a 12V lithium pack, 540ah, and 3000W inverter. The fusing off of the bus is pretty straightforward as I’m going with the Victron Lynx Distributor hence the MEGA fuses. I’ve seen the class-t fuses so happy to use them if they are the recommended approach.

For the holder this is the one I suggest. It's good to 400A and this Amazon listing is in error - if you go to BlueSea it will show it's rated to 400A.

Then for a fuse go with what your inverter suggests. Class T is odd in that the package size changes based on current capacity. The holder above is good from 175A to 400A.

I really appreciate your help here. I updated my response above to further clarify where this fuse is being used - it’s the main fuse between the batteries and the distribution (Lynx). The inverter will be protected by yet another 400a fuse via the distributor.

Still the recommended approach or is this the use case for the ANL?

I really appreciate your help here. I updated my response above to further clarify where this fuse is being used - it’s the main fuse between the batteries and the distribution (Lynx). The inverter will be protected by yet another 400a fuse via the distributor.

Still the recommended approach or is this the use case for the ANL?

Class-T is still the preferred for the main battery fuse - which is what this is. The AIC is important as if lithium gets a short the current potential is extremely high and not all fuses can break this. Plus as you are starting from scratch it is only a few bucks more.

For the holder this is the one I suggest. It's good to 400A and this Amazon listing is in error - if you go to BlueSea it will show it's rated to 400A.

Then for a fuse go with what your inverter suggests. Class T is odd in that the package size changes based on current capacity. The holder above is good from 175A to 400A.

I purchased this holder, and the "Amperage Maximum Operating" on the package says 320A. It can handle a 400A fuse, but assumes the user limits the amount of current to 80% of the fuse rating.

I purchased this holder, and the "Amperage Maximum Operating" on the package says 320A. It can handle a 400A fuse, but assumes the user limits the amount of current to 80% of the fuse rating.

The holder is good to 400A. On this page you will see it listed to 400A at the top and then in the specs 320A with a "info" bubble next to it that says derated to 80%.

Back