diy solar

diy solar

Splice trickle charger to rv vent fan?

jk51

Brand newbie here. I have a rv vent fan that is currently connected to the 12v system. I'd like to add a 30w 12v solar trickle charger. The idea is to be able to run it on solar during the day and battery at night. Is it as simple to just splice the panel directly into the fan? Thanks!

How is that any different from connecting the trickle charger to the battery? Switch the power to solar during the day and only run if there is solar?

How is that any different from connecting the trickle charger to the battery? Switch the power to solar during the day and only run if there is solar?
Is it the same as directly connecting it to the battery? Sorry, I'm so new at this. Yes, the plan is to only run it during day with solar. Do i need to add a charge controller? So is it feasible to do it this way, and will it also charge the battery if fan is not in use and extra power is left over?

If you want to run the fan during the day, regardless, then charging the battery is the way to go. If you don't want to run the fan if there is not enough solar, then that is a little more difficult.

Connecting it directly on the fan on the roof seems like a better place for the panel than the side of my rv where the house batteries are... so is it not possible to connect it directly to the fan, or are there other negative affects?

Back