diy solar

diy solar

Stand alone Split unit?

Hi Ya'll,
I am setting up an off grid homestead in TX in the very near future.
I have the specs for the main solar system all set from my energy audit, without Air Conditioning...
My question is, can (or how can) I run a stand-alone system for the Air Conditioner so that the Air Conditioner only comes on with its own 3 or so panels are making enough for it's own invertor? (i'd probably have one 12V battery just for voltage regulation/stability)

My thought process is:
I don't want the Air Conditioner sucking so much power from my main system that my fridge doesn't make it through the night.
I can get by with the Air Conditioner on only when the sun is out.
I work full time, So it would be nice to know that when it is hot and I'm not there, the Air Conditioner is on for my dogs.

I tried searching for this, but I'm not sure what the term is. I don't need specifics because I don't even have the Air Conditioner yet. Just proof of concept.

Thank you in advance.
This might be what you’re looking for.

Gas heat doesn't need a fan? Or like a catalytic heater?
Gas / propane floor and wall units do not have fans. But all may have an electric (likely low voltage) requirement for a thermostat and/or gas valve control.
I’m not sure if gas floor heaters are even made anymore, I’ve only seen them in old homes.
They actually work pretty well… since heat rises.
Instant warmup to stand over or next to one on a cold morning.
Either will heat a space better if a very slow moving ceiling fan or strategically placed small fan is ised to distribute the heat.

Last edited:
Gas / propane floor and wall units do not have fans. But all may have an electric (likely low voltage) requirement for a thermostat and/or gas valve control.

Gas stoves [edit - ovens, but not range burners] and water heaters with pilot work the same way.

Last edited:

Gas stoves and water heaters with pilot work the same way.
Yes, thanks.
And I found floor heaters are still made.

Back