diy solar

diy solar

Starter battery boost from coach batteries?

pablo fiasco

I have 200A of 12V lifepo4 for storage. If I were to find my chassis too flat to start the engine could I jump from the coach batteries? Not a hard vehicle to start. Couple of seconds would do it if the rpm were there.

If I were to find my chassis too flat to start the engine could I jump from the coach batteries?
How many cranking amps are you talking about? Will this exceed your BMS rating?

I have the same setup and was thinking that i would connect the house battery to engine battery (with just the switch) for some amount of time to charge up the engine battery. I'd certainly try this before trying to start an engine from LiFePO4.

I'm not much for numbers. I don't know the cranking amps. Sounds like using the lithium to actually crank might be a bms problem but trickling the sla might be okay. Is that what I'm hearing?

trickling the sla might be okay.
I have a button on the sprinter dash that links my house to the engine batteries. They used to both be lead acid, house is now LiFePO4 so i'm sure it'd trip my BMS.

I do have a Trikl-start trickle charger from house to engine batteries and it works superbly. Highly recommend that.

I have a button on the sprinter dash that links my house to the engine batteries. They used to both be lead acid, house is now LiFePO4 so i'm sure it'd trip my BMS.

I do have a Trikl-start trickle charger from house to engine batteries and it works superbly. Highly recommend that.
Yes, I have multiple ways to top up batteries too. Recently I was in a situation where none was available. Unit wouldn't start. Had no tools. Not even a wrench or a multimeter. I knew the battery was new and fully charged so I figured it was something mechanical and called for a tow. Tow truck dude put a jumper on it and it started right up. Skip to the end of the story it was bad connections at the terminals. If I had just thought to wiggle the wires it would have started. I've sorted that out now. But it brought up the thought of what I, or more importantly my wife, would do if the battery really did die. I've been looking into the little miracle lithium things you can carry in your glove box. But the reviews on them are not inspiring. So that's how I come to the original question. In a pinch could I snag enough juice from the coach batteries to get it going? I looked at the chassis battery. 875 cca if that's the question you were asking. I have only a very tenuous grasp of the concepts but I think that means that I will NOT be asking the coach batteries to actually turn the starter. But they usually live around 13 to 14 A so maybe I could trickle the chassis battery for a while, disconnect and hope to have juice to start?

Back