diy solar

diy solar

Starter battery kill switch

KerryB

I’m putting together a solar/battery system in my van. I already have it set up with a starter kill switch that breaks the ground connection at the starter battery. Can I continue to use the kill switch with my Renogy dc-dc charger w/ mppt?

I’m putting together a solar/battery system in my van. I already have it set up with a starter kill switch that breaks the ground connection at the starter battery. Can I continue to use the kill switch with my Renogy dc-dc charger w/ mppt?
How are you breaking the ground connection at the starter?

What do you mean by kill switch?
Are you just disconnecting the connection with a switch?
This is easily done with a circuit breaker, or DC on/off switch. You can disconnect anywhere along the connection. Keep in mind the rule the solar panel ask, disconnect the panel first.
Is this related to actual starting the starter motor?
If you are just disconnecting the electrical connection, then just disconnect it with your preferred switch. Why you using the negative and not the positive connection?

Can I continue to use the kill switch with my Renogy dc-dc charger w/ mppt?
The DCC50 has a common negative for starter battery , house battery and solar negative. For the Renogy to function as intended these negative paths must be in place. An additional function of the Renogy unit is to charge the starter battery from solar if it considers the house battery fully charged. Quite how it will behave with a lost starter battery negative path is uncertain.
It's possible you need to consider moving the 'kill switch' to a different position in the vehicle circuits, for example in the positive feed to the starter solenoid .

Back