diy solar

diy solar

Stationary 50 amp 5th wheel build

flashflood21

I am currently building my 5th wheel system out. Its a 2004 river forest cardinal 50 amp 5th wheel and I am building out 48 volt system for it. Ran into 2 things that I am not totally sure of so far. The first thing is the converter charger. It looks like the converter charger is just plugged in to an outlet off of the AC side of the panel. Then the dc hot and neutral go to power the dc breaker panel and also split to charge the old 12 volt battery. Instead of installing a 48 - 12 dc to dc converter (which I have) to power the dc side, should I just leave the converter in place to power the dc panel? Or should I just take out the whole thing?
1687891415110.jpeg

The other thing is there appears to be a transfer switch as shown in the picture. There was no on board generator but I think it was an option with this model. There are two inputs and one output in the picture. I know one input comes from shore power but I have no idea where the other one comes from or where it goes. I am guessing I should not worry about it but I am curious where it could possibly go to or if it really matters.
1687891916284.jpeg

I am currently building my 5th wheel system out. Its a 2004 river forest cardinal 50 amp 5th wheel and I am building out 48 volt system for it. Ran into 2 things that I am not totally sure of so far. The first thing is the converter charger. It looks like the converter charger is just plugged in to an outlet off of the AC side of the panel. Then the dc hot and neutral go to power the dc breaker panel and also split to charge the old 12 volt battery. Instead of installing a 48 - 12 dc to dc converter (which I have) to power the dc side, should I just leave the converter in place to power the dc panel? Or should I just take out the whole thing?

This is my preference as well as leaving a 12V battery in place. This gives you another layer of backup in the event that your main system fails or is taken offline. This is somewhat less efficient than a 48-12V converter, but you're only losing about 10%. To me, it's worth the cost.

The other thing is there appears to be a transfer switch as shown in the picture. There was no on board generator but I think it was an option with this model. There are two inputs and one output in the picture. I know one input comes from shore power but I have no idea where the other one comes from or where it goes. I am guessing I should not worry about it but I am curious where it could possibly go to or if it really matters.
View attachment 154654

I would assume it's for an on-board generator option. I would trace it to see where the second input goes.

What are your plans for a inverter/charger? Which one are you leaning toward?

Do you have grid power?

There are several options for how to install…

Yes trace those wires to the place that a generator would be - you may want to consider the new 48v inverter to be the “generator”.

Good Luck

What are your plans for a inverter/charger? Which one are you leaning toward?

Do you have grid power?

There are several options for how to install…

Yes trace those wires to the place that a generator would be - you may want to consider the new 48v inverter to be the “generator”.

Good Luck
No grid power. We have land we purchased last year and are about 1.5 miles from power. Planning on building our off grid homestead out there and are starting with this camper. As far as the build I was all over the place but decided on two eg4 3ks in 240 split phase. Putting them in a compartment under the camper but will move them when I get a heated garage built (hopefully before winter). Chose them because of the small size, versatility, and price. Was really close to going Victron but couldn't get past the cost. There's always an chance we might go that route in the future when we build a house.

I will try to trace the wire to where ever it goes but I will say that the metal skirting under the camper will be difficult to get off in that area. I would like to salvage the wire at least if its basically useless.

This is my preference as well as leaving a 12V battery in place. This gives you another layer of backup in the event that your main system fails or is taken offline. This is somewhat less efficient than a 48-12V converter, but you're only losing about 10%. To me, it's worth the cost.

I would assume it's for an on-board generator option. I would trace it to see where the second input goes.
That is my thought as of now. I can live with the 10% lose.

what are the plans for the homestead power?
anything that you use to power the trailer........... can it be re-used when you build the homestead power?

I would build the homestead power system (48v) first
then leave the trailer as is (12v) just plug trailer into the homestead power ---> 120v out

what are the plans for the homestead power?
anything that you use to power the trailer........... can it be re-used when you build the homestead power?
That is why I went with the system I did. I have two 48 volt eg4 3000s, a couple of their 48 volt rack batteries, and about 5kw worth of panels. I can easily move this system into a building someday and expand. Cost and lack of time was a big reason I also went this direction.

I would build the homestead power system (48v) first
then leave the trailer as is (12v) just plug trailer into the homestead power ---> 120v out
I have to be realistic with a time frame on any buildings being built. I am not sure how far out it will be before I will have my first heated building up. I live in a cold weather climate so I can't put the system in a building that is not heated. That is why I am putting it in the camper for now. I did seriously consider this option though. If I can get a shop built before winter (not likely at this point) I will move the system in there and make it my power station and just plug the camper in. I am a wildland firefighter and it has not been a good summer for having days off so far.

Back