diy solar

diy solar

Stringing slightly different voltage amps panels?

Tallguy

I have 3 slightly different voltage panels(1-18.1, 2-18.9). Can I wire them in series? And any particular order?

I have 3 slightly different voltage panels(1-18.1, 2-18.9). Can I wire them in series? And any particular order?
Some more details would be helpful for us to give you a better answer, like specifications for the solar charge controller, and more the specifications for the panels (Voc, Isc, Imp, Vmp).
But generally speaking, there will be some small losses in efficiency because Imp will be slightly different between the panels and you’ll only ever get the lower of the two Isc values, but otherwise stringing those in series shouldn’t really be a problem for the panels.
If the combined, temperature corrected Voc is too high for your SCC, that’s a problem. Which is why we need more info…

The SCC should handle the wattage, voltage and amperage. The question was more about efficiency

The SCC should handle the wattage, voltage and amperage. The question was more about efficiency
Wasn’t that already answered?

Since the Impp don’t line up, there will be an efficiency loss due to that. Devices that are series connected all see the same current. Probably you can approximate the efficiency loss by taking the lowest Impp as the overall current of the string and computing from there using the I-V graphs of each panel. But this is not guaranteed to be the operating point.

Order won’t matter.

In case it wasn't obvious from the answers you received, you didn't provide the needed information to get good answers.

The voltage of each panel isn't important to string performance/efficiency. It is important to your charge controller, but you said it was fine.

The current will be the same through the entire string, so the lowest current panel will drag down the other two. The voltage just adds up with each additional panel in series, so no effect on how the other panels are performing.

Asking what order to put them in series reinforces the theory that your learning. You should be open to answering questions so you can better understand how solar works.

Back