diy solar

diy solar

Strings and volts for a 250Voc Growatt 6k split phase

I've been looking at four models of inverters and their manuals but only one states that the PV array can handle 27A, the others don't. At least not that I can see. Is there a way to determine how many strings you can use on one inverter?
Depends on your level of comfort with over paneling. Most people try to stick with what each SCC gives in their manual. You have to always keep in mind that panels do not push watts. Loads pull watts. You SCC loads the panels based on its rated charge amperage (if loads to it like the battery are available). Watts = Volts X Amps

In regards to which panels to buy. Make sure that you price in shipping costs. Often for pallet sales the shipping cost can make what seems like a good price per watt be a bad price. That and you might have to buy more panels than you want or need in order to get the pallet price.

Over pay for the size. Those 8 panels could be on a cheap MPPT charge controller.

So the 8 panels connect to the separate charge controller, that goes connected to a battery, but then the battery also connects to the all in one that has it's own mppt and pv array? So the battery goes connected to two charge controllers? I think I'm missing how to connect the second charge controller to the rest of the system?

edit: This diagram describes what you were saying I think.

Last edited:
Depends on your level of comfort with over paneling. Most people try to stick with what each SCC gives in their manual. You have to always keep in mind that panels do not push watts. Loads pull watts. You SCC loads the panels based on its rated charge amperage (if loads to it like the battery are available). Watts = Volts X Amps
The growatt 6000k, I think said, 80A was the rated charge amperage for the PV and it had a voc of 250v, which sort of makes sense since you would likely use multiple strings with that low of a voc, I think. But other units said the rated charge for PV was 120A and I currently have a 50AH 48v battery. But the load, if I understand correctly, would be the battery and appliances.
In regards to which panels to buy. Make sure that you price in shipping costs. Often for pallet sales the shipping cost can make what seems like a good price per watt be a bad price. That and you might have to buy more panels than you want or need in order to get the pallet price.
I looked at the pallets but can't do that because of financial limitations and will likely only buy a few at a time, but still need to be aware of watts per dollar as well as voltage.

I'm too noobish to over panel comfortably. I'll stick to what it states in the manual but each manual references a higher wattage panel that what I have, 195w, compared to their reference of 280w or 350w panels. I don't want to fall short by a large margin of what I could get but I don't think I'll get exactly what they reference in their manuals since the math on the Voc usually adds up to something like 448v out of a 450voc.

All, good points, thanks Mattb4.

So the 8 panels connect to the separate charge controller, that goes connected to a battery, but then the battery also connects to the all in one that has it's own mppt and pv array? So the battery goes connected to two charge controllers? I think I'm missing how to connect the second charge controller to the rest of the system?

edit: This diagram describes what you were saying I think.
The SCC is simply connected to the battery wiring such as a busbar. Power will flow in the direction it is needed, either to an inverter or the battery.

The growatt 6000k, I think said, 80A was the rated charge amperage for the PV and it had a voc of 250v, which sort of makes sense since you would likely use multiple strings with that low of a voc, I think. But other units said the rated charge for PV was 120A and I currently have a 50AH 48v battery. But the load, if I understand correctly, would be the battery and appliances.

I looked at the pallets but can't do that because of financial limitations and will likely only buy a few at a time, but still need to be aware of watts per dollar as well as voltage.

Save up, then purchase panels unless you absolutely need a working system. Far better return on your money doing it this way.

I'm too noobish to over panel comfortably. I'll stick to what it states in the manual but each manual references a higher wattage panel that what I have, 195w, compared to their reference of 280w or 350w panels. I don't want to fall short by a large margin of what I could get but I don't think I'll get exactly what they reference in their manuals since the math on the Voc usually adds up to something like 448v out of a 450voc.

All, good points, thanks Mattb4.

Save up, then purchase panels unless you absolutely need a working system. Far better return on your money doing it this way.
I agree. I think I was too eager to play with the panels and just didn't know enough so I made purchases without having enough information. Better to buy what I need in the long run then buy twice. I'll use what I have for now in terms of panels and when I get to the point that I need more panels and have the money to do it right I'll buy better panels.

Reactions: Zwy
Back