diy solar

diy solar

Suggestions for outdoor solar shed

Rchiuz

Hello all,

I have been trying to come up with a plan to build a small solar shed just to play with building a small solar system. Does anyone have any suggestions in a structure to start out of?

Considerations
1) small shed the size of those plastic tool sheds from the big box stores
2) would build it from wood or something strong to last through hurricane winds in Florida
3) would I need to factor in a small ac unit in order to keep solar components cool?

Any suggestions are welcome since it’s something I have been thinking about for a while. I have a built station like EcoFlow delta pro but would like to tinker to make my own without having to worry about building codes and such. Would be cool to plug in all in ones to charge as a reserve outdoor backup ?

Maybe instead of that start with a cart mounted portable system. That would give you some experience as well as a pretty useful end result. Will just did a really good video on one. I'm thinking about building a couple of them as presents for the kids (45 yr old kids).

I built my on a 6x9 platform 6 inch insulation in floor and ceiling 4 inch in the walls put in one window for ventilation and a ac unit when needed it takes about 1300 watts dailey to maintain 76 degrees in 90+ weather

Just be sure to add the hurricane clips to it if you go with a wood kit and want something to potentially survive a hurricane!

Just be sure to add the hurricane clips to it if you go with a wood kit and want something to potentially survive a hurricane!
When I bought my house here in Baja Calif, Mexico I found on the detached 24 x 24 garage had volcanic rock piled on the roof all the way around , right over the walls. It was clearly an attempt to keep the roof from blowing off in the occasional hurricane we get. I needed to reroof the thing before putting up a new solar array so off went the rocks and on went the hurricane clips. piece of cake!

Attachments

• La Roca.JPG
    La Roca.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 8
I bought one of those 6x4 metal sheds for cheap to house the battery and inverter at the house I am building but it was getting so hot in there the growatt 6k was absolutely screaming for mercy.
I am now dried in so I just moved it into the relatively cool and very shaded garage. As someone else said, build one of the handcart setups, they are portable and quick and easy.

Last edited:
Back