diy solar

diy solar

suggestions on smoke alarm in remote solar equip building ?

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
All my inverters and batteries are in a workshop about 100 ft from the house. I have an ethernet switch in that building and wifi is pretty reliable.
looking for a solution that would trigger an alarm in my house if the smoke detector activates. in the workshop
the alarms in my house are simple battery powered

Google Nest detector, sold on amazon.
WiFi. Works well here at 50 meters between 2 of them inside my main building.

That's a given isn't it? You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to sink thousands on batteries & equipment and not spend a few pounds/dollars on an extinguisher.

I mean, not a portable extinguisher, but to install an automatic extinguisher, since the workshop is separated from the house.
Any recommendation?

Note: I doubt that a water sprinkler would be recommended with LiFePo4 battery cells, what do you think?

There are two (at least) fire balls. One “original” and knockoffs. I use a mix.

thanks for the input.
looks like the nest protector wifi should work, I have to get 2 units to get the alert in the house if the workshop unit activates @ 129 each on amazon, ethernet types dont seem to be avbl

the fire ball extinguisher looks cool also, I saw some cheap brands were recalled that amazon sold, but the Elide brand
looks good @$129 for the large size, maybe get 2, 1 above the battery stack and 1 above the inverters

Elide is not included in the recall according to that warning. I'm guessing it's the cheap crap from China being recalled.

Insteon has a Smoke Bridge device, Plugs into the outlet and will communicate (via PLM to a Hub which can do push notifications) with certain types of First Alert wireless smoke/CO detectors. Unless you were planning on installing other home automation devices and a controller this is probably overly complicated. Just throwing it out there.

Check out YoLink...they work at about 1/4 mile.

Back