diy solar

diy solar

EG4 48v PowerPro all weather batteries (two) 28K...OR...EG4-LL (six) 30K rack mounted.....with (two) 6000XP inverters

I think BMS is one of those diminishing return things. At some point you should pretty much get it right and not really need any more firmware upgrades as long as the BMS hardware is the same. Powerpro is getting more attention because it's NOT as stable, not because it is.
I totally get your point about the BMS. Set it and forget it, basically, with any set up. I have 6 EG4LLs V1 in a rack already in a previous build. When I asked a tech about the battery cells I learned that they are exactly the same cells in the rack mounted and the PowerPro. Will Prowse doesn't prefer all the bells and whistles either, as I recall. Still, the PowerPros are rated at 8 cycles vs 7 for the rack mounted. Thank you for the insight ksmithaz1.

Where has anyone ever said these are not stable in some form?
More like they are refining the feature set.
I’ve only seen troubles of deciphering which firmware one is on and should be on vs inverter.
I imagine they’ve shipped with a couple different ones by now
Compound that with multiple connection types visible and a lack of understanding and it gets perceived there’s instability when it’s more likely just user knowledge growing pains

I’ve only seen troubles of deciphering which firmware one is on and should be on vs inverter.
I imagine they’ve shipped with a couple different ones by now
Compound that with multiple connection types visible and a lack of understanding and it gets perceived there’s instability when it’s more likely just user knowledge growing pains
You just defined instability. Generally speaking most of this stuff works fine if everything is perfect. It's the edge cases you don't know about that make something "unstable". Further if the battery has features that have not been flushed out, instability often occurs when they get implemented. Thus, something about the squeaky wheel getting the grease comes to mind. If someone is screwing around with the firmware regularly then the firmware cannot have been "stable". By definition it has changed several times and is therefore "unstable".

PowerPro vs Rack: Depends on mounting, and how much battery you expect to end up with. My next battery purchase I will likely replace the racks I have with two taller Ruixu's that hold 10 units. This puts 100KWH in 7 feet x 4 feet x 4 feet. If you have unlimited wall space or modest needs the power-pro will present a much more asthetic solution. There is also the maintenance aspect, pretty simple to pull and swap a rack-mounted setup.

Then again in 5 years we may have new tech, that makes this all obsolete.
Excellent input & I feel very similar on several points. (I don't know much about Ruixu's besides Will's videos.) I get you on the ease of maintenance but the racks are still over 100# each which is still not easy.

I am not sure...can you not stack the PowerPro's vertically? If so, how many?

I just posted much of the following on a similar thread but feel it is worth reposting here.

I believe the EG4 Lifepower4's have been & continue to be the cost effective work horse of EG4...I have 6 currently running with an 6500EX. (And to a lesser extent so are the EG4 LL's which are nice but not worth the extra $ to me.) Being individual & modular is their pro & con depending on perspective as you note. Easier to add as you go due size cost & space. (Basically a 105# old stereo amp.) They are pretty tough to beat for the price but...they are missing a few tech items that are now avaliable on some others that may be nice to have going forward. I.E. PowerPro etc.

However, that said, I believe the PowerPro & similar WILL be & are becoming the future work horse for HOUSEHOLD use. Easy to add as you go once you figure out how to deal with it's weight h size (Mine arrived as a 385# box.) It is roughly equal to 3 Lifepower4's in storage, cost & weight. In my opinion, is is made to work with the 18kPV's & 6000XP's. It has heaters, switches, breakers, communication & exterior capabilities that the Lifepower4's do not.

I just recieved my first (of 3) PP to go with my 18kPV in the house that we are building. I'm hoping the 18kPV will soon have the ability to better communicate with BOTH PowerPro & Lifepower4's at the same time so that I can use everything. (If not, I may have to add an additional 6000XP.) To me, their only downside is their size & weight...and cost of course. It's tough to adapt them in some size restricted applications compared to the Lifepower4's.

I think BMS is one of those diminishing return things. At some point you should pretty much get it right and not really need any more firmware upgrades as long as the BMS hardware is the same. Powerpro is getting more attention because it's NOT as stable, not because it is.
zero returns on powerpro, most stable product ever...

I'm interested in the PowerPros for a future build, as mounting outside on the wall of the mechanical room would save significant space. But we live in Maine, so I'm concerned with the power consumption needed for the heaters. Does anyone have data on this? I realize it's tough to model this due to temperature variability.

I'm interested in the PowerPros for a future build, as mounting outside on the wall of the mechanical room would save significant space. But we live in Maine, so I'm concerned with the power consumption needed for the heaters. Does anyone have data on this? I realize it's tough to model this due to temperature variability.

The power consumption of the heaters would be 224w. I will include the spec-sheet for the WallMount that will help with this.

Attachments

• EG4-14.3kWh-PowerPro-WallMount-AW-Spec-Sheet.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 4
Great to hear! Any more input on running BOTH my 6-Lifepower4's AND my PowerPro 's with my 18kPV? Thx

Currently, this is undergoing testing. While we have observed successful closed-loop operations with the EG4LL-S and V2's, we are still refining the open-loop setup with LifePower4. Documentation detailing this process will be shared once our testing is complete. Early test results indicate that this should be possible.

Currently, this is undergoing testing. While we have observed successful closed-loop operations with the EG4LL-S and V2's, we are still refining the open-loop setup with LifePower4. Documentation detailing this process will be shared once our testing is complete. Early test results indicate that this should be possible.

Attachments

• White Paper - Battery Balancing(WIP).pdf
    192.2 KB · Views: 8
Good to hear, thank you! Especially considering the Lifepower4's (6) have been your greatest workhorse & the PowerPro's (3) likely will be. Please keep me posted, I'm pretty invested with these & a 18kPV & a 6000XP.

Last edited:
The power consumption of the heaters would be 224w. I will include the spec-sheet for the WallMount that will help with this.
Very helpful and appreciated. Thank you. I see an operating temp down to -4F so I think I'll need to mount indoors or go with rack batteries, but seems like a great unit for a more temperate climate.

Back