diy solar

diy solar

Summer in Arizona: What options to keep cool?

I'd convert to an electric hot water heater, remove the wall vents and go with a mini split to cool the garage. I use a window ac unit to cool my workshop for the inverter and batteries since the workshop would hit over 100 easy during the summer. Its worth a few extra panels to cover the cost of running the ac.

In alabama the power company will give you a new electric hot water heater if you are converting from a gas one.

Anybody ever try going underground? I would think going underground, under the home, which is always shaded would yield some tolerable year-round temps. I have heard about some folks down here in Baja doing this.
I personally have a small chiller unit mounted onto the side of my battery box. It helps keep my batteries in the low 80's in the summer heat. My garage usually hovers around 110 in the daytime.

I'd convert to an electric hot water heater, remove the wall vents and go with a mini split to cool the garage. I use a window ac unit to cool my workshop for the inverter and batteries since the workshop would hit over 100 easy during the summer. Its worth a few extra panels to cover the cost of running the ac.
Even better, go with a heat pump water heater to take advantage of the heat in the garage.

If you have the space and HOA/permitting allows, build a small insulated shed/closet on the outside garage wall for the equipment & batteries and cool this with AC. Run all electric hookups threw the wall including any low power control boxes. Solves the space issues and has the added benefit of isolating the potential fire hazards from your house assuming you use fire resistant materials in the construction.

Enclose the equipment in a fabricated "cabinet" with a 5000BTU minisplit cooling the space. You might use 5kWh/day for a small insulated volume when we hit 120°F.
CurrentConnecteds 12x Slot Insulated battery rack is perfect for this. Put 6x batteries on one side and your inverter on the other side. He is even getting micro mini splits for them that run on 48v DC.

Yeah it's work but it's not worth the cost honestly. The payments for a system 1/3 as big as what I wanted (without batteries) would cost me about 40 dollars less per month than my electric bill. My electric bill has a 32 dollar minimum unless I generate enough electricity to offset that cost (spoiler, I wouldn't). Ultimately I determined that installing solar with a professional installer would end up costing me money (not saving it) and that's not even including batteries. With batteries, it would be way more expensive. And doing a little research and knowing what I could buy a new setup for just didn't make sense. I mean just looking at hardware costs, it would be a fraction of what they were trying to charge me. Inverter + solar panels + mounting hardware, if I was going the cheapest option, I could get a 10kw+ system for less than 6,000, maybe 5500. I want a hybrid system however with batteries so I'm expecting to spend a little more.
I’m jealous of your skills.

Dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s for the man to get permitting and design and inspection would take me at least 2 years.

I saw a YouTube video this morning about a company called Ravolt that sells a temp conditioned solution including choice of inverter, batteries, etc. Might be a good fit for you if you can afford it.

I saw a YouTube video this morning about a company called Ravolt that sells a temp conditioned solution including choice of inverter, batteries, etc. Might be a good fit for you if you can afford it.

Starting at $21,000 lol no. I could replace my batteries and inverter (that died from the heat) several times over for that price.

CurrentConnecteds 12x Slot Insulated battery rack is perfect for this. Put 6x batteries on one side and your inverter on the other side. He is even getting micro mini splits for them that run on 48v DC.
Any chance someone has a link to the micro heat / cool units for this battery rack ? I looked on CC and Watts24/7 and did not see this item listed ?
Thanks

Any chance someone has a link to the micro heat / cool units for this battery rack ? I looked on CC and Watts24/7 and did not see this item listed ?
Thanks
It's not finalized yet from what I understand. @HighTechLab might be able to elaborate more but I think he is working with the manufacture of the units to refine them for better operation.

diy solar

diy solar
Back