diy solar

diy solar

Sungoldpower SG48100M

cdsolar

caduceus
Anyone have experience with this battery?

It is a wall mount unit. It says it is up for UL soon ...

And it says the BMS communicates with a variety of inverters, including Victron. Same BMS as EG4LLV2?

Thanks.

I am completely new to storage but decided to give SunGoldPower a chance, especially since their office and warehouse are only a 70 minute drive away. I ordered the 2 pack of their server rack battery last month. After weeks of delays due to them being back-ordered (which they disclosed only after I pestered them), they offered to ship me a pair of SG48100Ms instead since they were in stock, for no additional cost. I was unsure at first, especially given the lack of reviews, but I decided wall mounts will actually work better for me anyhow. They shipped via FedEx with only minor damage to one of the boxes.

I'm in no position to offer a review since I have no experience with batteries, but so far I am pleased with them. The BMS looks like just about every other server rack battery as far as I can tell. It took me a few days to figure out how to get them to talk to my Megarevo R8KLNA using CAN, but that was due to my inexperience (I needed to set the master pack to address 1).

Here are the protocol options in the BMS:

CAN: Pace, Pylon, Victon, SE, Luxpower, Growatt_v109
RS485: Pace_Modbus, Growatt, Voltronic, SE, Phocos, GT

I am completely new to storage but decided to give SunGoldPower a chance, especially since their office and warehouse are only a 70 minute drive away. I ordered the 2 pack of their server rack battery last month. After weeks of delays due to them being back-ordered (which they disclosed only after I pestered them), they offered to ship me a pair of SG48100Ms instead since they were in stock, for no additional cost. I was unsure at first, especially given the lack of reviews, but I decided wall mounts will actually work better for me anyhow. They shipped via FedEx with only minor damage to one of the boxes.

I'm in no position to offer a review since I have no experience with batteries, but so far I am pleased with them. The BMS looks like just about every other server rack battery as far as I can tell. It took me a few days to figure out how to get them to talk to my Megarevo R8KLNA using CAN, but that was due to my inexperience (I needed to set the master pack to address 1).

I decided to go with the EG4 llv2 48V battery. I would have liked the wall mounted SG48100M, but I'll use a box my wife is building to hold the EG4 vertical to the wall. I chose the EG4 as it is UL listed and the SG48100M info said UL was 'pending' at the time. Any news on that? Glad to see it supports talking to Victron and other vendors.

Just chiming in to bump this up... thinking of using some of these with an EG4 3000 watt unit on a camper.

SunGoldPower confirmed that both this and the server rack batteries are both 16 cell units, unlike the 15 cell RichSolar units.

Wanting to build on the CAN/communication part of the discussion.

I just installed a the new 10kW SGP inverter, (8) 415W panels, and two SG48100M wall mounted batteries as part of a non-grid-tied back-up system. Everything is up running and I've figured out most of the settings on the inverter but I'm brand new to CAN. (1) How do I interface b/w a PC laptop and the battery and (2) what settings are needed to get the inverter to talk directly to the battery

Wanting to build on the CAN/communication part of the discussion.

I just installed a the new 10kW SGP inverter, (8) 415W panels, and two SG48100M wall mounted batteries as part of a non-grid-tied back-up system. Everything is up running and I've figured out most of the settings on the inverter but I'm brand new to CAN. (1) How do I interface b/w a PC laptop and the battery and (2) what settings are needed to get the inverter to talk directly to the battery

From a PC connected to the RS232 port on pack 1, I used the SOK tools downloaded from the Current Connected website and was able to see all the data from the batteries. This confirmed for me that the RS485 cable between the 2 batteries allowed them to communicate with each other. I'm also using SolarAssistant and wanted to get all the data from the batteries logged there, so I moved the RS232 interface to SA but so far it works only partially with the latest SA beta. I'm hopeful SA will figure it out with a future update though.

As for which BMS protocol options to select on the batteries, I emailed SGP support asking the best option with my Megarevo inverter. They responded that they do not currently support Megarevo, but they may add it at a later time. Having said that, this isn't a showstopper for me as the inverter seems to be able to read the vitals from the battery BMS via CAN using both Pace and Pylon.

Seems like the ideal system is using the data cable between inverter and batteries and a victron smart shunt going to solar assistant. That's how I plan on running mine. This will allow solar assistant to make changes with knowledge from the smart shunt if needed.

Yeah they pulled that on me too. I finally got mine delivered on September 6th and I had ordered the system on July 31st. What they didn't tell me was you need a separate set of cables that are $45 to connect both batteries together. I was hot because I only agreed to the switch if it didn't cost anything more. I really do not like the wall mount batteries at all and wish I hadn't switched them. I really don't have room for these two things where I have everything set up at.

Yeah they pulled that on me too. I finally got mine delivered on September 6th and I had ordered the system on July 31st. What they didn't tell me was you need a separate set of cables that are $45 to connect both batteries together. I was hot because I only agreed to the switch if it didn't cost anything more. I really do not like the wall mount batteries at all and wish I hadn't switched them. I really don't have room for these two things where I have everything set up at.
Are the buttons on the batteries the tallest thing when sitting flat? I’m thinking mine will end up either stacked flat on or on their side and debating if I need to throw a little rubber foot thru the mounting holes to create a gap..

Thanks!

They also balked at including the parallel cables for free, but I went with a bus bar setup instead since that seemed like the recommended way to wire them.

I will say that SGP provides a very sturdy metal wall bracket that works like a french cleat. I haven't mounted mine yet, but this will make it much easier when I finally get to it. I can't say the same about the Megarevo inverter, for which I had to make a french cleat out of 3/4" plywood.

They also balked at including the parallel cables for free, but I went with a bus bar setup instead since that seemed like the recommended way to wire them.

I will say that SGP provides a very sturdy metal wall bracket that works like a french cleat. I haven't mounted mine yet, but this will make it much easier when I finally get to it. I can't say the same about the Megarevo inverter, for which I had to make a french cleat out of 3/4" plywood.
Yeah those batteries are heavy too. Have help putting them up. Of course I'm in my 60's so I'm worn out when it comes to lifting 108lb batteries ?

I'm looking at the SG48100M for my off-grid backyard shed too, for indoor dry installation. Seems like a good packaged product, better than the rack battery due to the push-on waterproof (and human-contact-proof) terminals versus the M6 side mounted terminals. May I ask what length of cables came with the battery? Would you still recommend getting the server rack version instead? Thanks.

I'm looking at the SG48100M for my off-grid backyard shed too, for indoor dry installation. Seems like a good packaged product,

better than the rack battery due to the push-on waterproof (and human-contact-proof) terminals versus the M6 side mounted terminals. May I ask what length of cables came with the battery? Would you still recommend getting the server rack version instead? Thanks.
But these batteries are not suitable for mounting on an outdoor wall, correct?

It does say "IP65 rated with protection against low pressure water spray and condensation. Suitable for most outdoor locations". Although I'm not trying to mount it to an outdoor wall, I'll mount it indoors, inside my shed, next to the inverter. Just hoping that the packaged cables are long enough to reach the inverter without gymnastics and rotating the battery 180degrees.

After ordering items from SunGold in July, and waiting a week to be told "out of stock" after I inquired... I cancelled and went elsewhere.

This time, I confirmed they had stock, and then immediately ordered.

And now 4 days later receive a "We checked with the warehouse and we're out of stock, can you wait 3 weeks?" email.

Never again.

Are the buttons on the batteries the tallest thing when sitting flat? I’m thinking mine will end up either stacked flat on or on their side and debating if I need to throw a little rubber foot thru the mounting holes to create a gap..

Thanks!
Yes, the buttons protrude just a few mm on the front side, but the rear has the mounting brace and bracket that adds about and inch to the overall depth.

It does say "IP65 rated with protection against low pressure water spray and condensation. Suitable for most outdoor locations". Although I'm not trying to mount it to an outdoor wall, I'll mount it indoors, inside my shed, next to the inverter. Just hoping that the packaged cables are long enough to reach the inverter without gymnastics and rotating the battery 180degrees.
The included cables are about 5ft. They look identical to these that they sell for daisy chaining, except that one end is an 8mm lug.

Last edited:
Are those touch-proof connectors something a person can purchase to make their own cables? I like them but not as easy to customize as a standard lug connection.

Are those touch-proof connectors something a person can purchase to make their own cables? I like them but not as easy to customize as a standard lug connection.
Not that i've seen. They make them up. The RichSolar batteries I had (and returned) had them, and honestly, I was a fan once understanding how they work. Can't say they'd last 100 hookup/disconnects, because they're plastic bodied, but for a hook it up once or twice system, it is handy.

I was needing to move the batteries in my camper when transported due to weight, and move them back when parked, so it was a nice tool-less install.

Yes they are now becoming available from the solar supply companies, listed on SS website.

Thanks!
Yes the buttons are the only thing sticking up. I thought about doing the same thing with laying them flat.

I'm looking at the SG48100M for my off-grid backyard shed too, for indoor dry installation. Seems like a good packaged product, better than the rack battery due to the push-on waterproof (and human-contact-proof) terminals versus the M6 side mounted terminals. May I ask what length of cables came with the battery? Would you still recommend getting the server rack version instead? Thanks.
The cables are like 3 or 4 feet long I think. If it were me, I'd go with the rack mount, but I have them in my camper. Not really a good place to mount them in here.

The cables are like 3 or 4 feet long I think. If it were me, I'd go with the rack mount, but I have them in my camper. Not really a good place to mount them in here
Amphenol SurLok connectors. That said these are tricky to locate and get the right ones. Some have location pins some don't. And there are multiple sizes as well.

Would you still recommend this Sungold Powerwall? I am about to order. Can I lengthen the included cables you think? I need to go 10 feet.

A96CCDCC-6AA0-4515-AAC2-EEEAB49A4700.jpeg

diy solar

diy solar
Back