diy solar

diy solar

Sunkko Inductive 8amp Active Balancer

nebulight

Solar Enthusiast
I will be using a Rec-Active 12v BMS on my 1240ah 12v system. It has a 2 amp active balancer built in. However I figure with a bank that size I'd like to have another battery balancer to go with it just in case. I did some research on inductive balancers as that's what REC uses and opted to go with one of those. I think the Haltec new unit is also inductive but I found this inexpensive Sunkko unit that comes in either 5 amp or 8 amp. I went with the 8 amp version:

1679795450571.png

The unit has an on/off switch on the right and a force start button on the left. Press the on button and it will always be on until a delta of around 10mv (testing that now). The force start button will force the unit to turn on for 1 hour then turn off.

I plugged the unit in right away with the cells pretty evenly balanced and it started balancing around around .3amp. I did some basic testing by taking an 80% SOC battery and charged a single cell to 3.65v while the other cells were around 3.34v. I was now getting around 3 amps out of the highest voltage cell going into the other cells:

1679795507497.png

That's a far cry from 8 amps but honestly that's how I could see the battery pack being if there is a large imbalance so even three amps plus the 2 amps from the rec should be fine as this battery is going to live at the top end of the charge curve. I did replace the small gauge wire with comically fat silicon 14awg at this point.

I figure that most of these rated current figures are at the WAY extreme ends: one cell fully depleted and one cell fully charged. So that's what I did. I started at one cell at 2.8v and the other at 3.6v. The test started at 2:56pm. I turned on the balancer and BAM 8 amps right away. By the time I got my camera out the delta had already dropped to around 730mv and the current was at 7.17 amps:

1679795561501.png

1679795539918.png

3:13pm the delta was at 140mv and the current had dropped to 1.07 amps:

1679795598852.png

3:47pm the delta was now 92mv with a current of .74amps:

1679795639587.png

6:31pm the delta was now 46mv and a current of .26amps:

1679795681819.png

The plan for me is to turn this on via the REC-BMS once a single cell hits 3.42v so it probably won't get used that often.

That’s going to be the next test. I wanted to see how long it would take to balance these headway 8ah cells on the drastic end. I wanted to go until the balancer shut off but that may take too long. Next up is a normal charge test at 12v which should balance faster as the storage difference in capacity is much smaller at higher voltages.

Yes I missed the 10mV shut down. That should easily allow full time use.
Not sure Heltec has that feature.

getting that low cell up in line with the others with my ZKE charger and forgot I left the balancer on. I turned it off and back on and you can see the 1 amp drop:

1679852249877.png

The big heat sink is interesting, I have a 16 cell inductive balancer and it doesn’t get warm.

yea, maybe if there was ever a sustained 8 amp balance (not going to happen with lifepo4) the heatsink may be needed. I never saw current anywhere close to that for very long.

what are the start and shutdown voltages ?
one would not want the balancer to always run, as it will imbalance the pack

It's not that great. It shuts down at 2.7v. I thought the manual said it would stop balancing at 10mv but mine was at 8mv and it was still on. Just another cheap balancer with a different method of balancing.

On and waiting vs. On and balancing could be two different things.
If balance stops at 10 mV delta I don't see a reason to worry about start voltage.

The thing is, it wasn't stopping, at least on my unit. I just don't think I can trust these cheap 20-30 balancers being all all the time.

what are the start and shutdown voltages ?
one would not want the balancer to always run, as it will imbalance the pack
One of the advantages of leaving the balancer on all the time is that you can increase the capacity of a pack with a weak cell. You need to imbalance the pack to do this, you add charge to the weakest cell at low voltage, and remove charge from the weakest (same) cell at high voltage.

It’s a lot easier to limit charge current at high voltage than it to limit discharge current at low voltage levels.

The thing is, it wasn't stopping, at least on my unit. I just don't think I can trust these cheap 20-30 balancers being all all the time.
What are you thinking the failure mode of the flyback inductive balancer will be that will actually harm your system?

I’ve seen a few capacitor based balancers drag down cell pairs, but what causes them to do that can’t happen with an inductive balancer.

Just wonDering if you have an update. Is the Sunkko balancer still working well?

Back