diy solar

diy solar

SunPower panels with positive ground

duerrd561

Hi everyone!

I have an ~11 year old grid-tied SunPower solar array comprised of forty SPR-245NE-WHT-D 245W modules (so 9.8kW total) and a SunPower-branded SMA SunnyBoy 8000-US string inverter. The inverter is in the process of dying, and I am looking for a suitable replacement that will work with my modules without causing them harm.

According to the SunPower data sheet I found for this specific module, it claims that it is compatible with transformer-less inverters, and that it does not require positive grounding. And according to the inverter documentation, it can be grounded positively or negatively depending on a fuse and jumper placement, and it defaults to a positive grounding configuration out-of-the-box. When I opened up the inverter, it is indeed in the (default) positive grounding configuration.

So it seems I am basically using positive grounding on modules that do not require it. Is it possible these panels were wired/grounded up on the roof in such a way that my installation requires positive grounding even though the modules do not? Or is it literally just a matter of within the inverter itself, which pole is connected to ground? I'm trying to understand what it would entail to move to a transformer-less inverter which does not provide positive grounding without compromising the function of my array.

Thanks!

I am working to solve this same issue. I have found used Fronius (SPR) units that are explicitly compatible but have not found any that stated that on the transformer-less units. What Tfrmr-less unit did you find compatible? Thanks !

Those Sunpower panels will work just fine negative ground or with new inverters, no grounding on either PV+ or PV-. 11 year old panels that might degrade slightly more but at this age its in the noise the difference in the ability to harvest energy.

Thank you for the reply. I was able to find a refurbished Sunpower (Fronius) 10 Kw inverter that fits the bill! PV-On!!

Back