diy solar

diy solar

using positively grounded SunPower panels

emily_in_hawaii

Hi everyone!

I have a bunch of old SunPower SPR-200-BLK-U panels lying around that I would like to use for an off-grid power system. However, I understand these panels are positively grounded. I'm looking for information on what kind of special treatment they need. I have a MidNite Kid charge controller, a 25.6v 200ah Victron battery, and an 800 watt inverter off Amazon, can't remember brand.

Do I need a special charge controller for the positively grounded panels? Special wiring? I'm having the hardest time finding the answers to these questions. Would it damage my system if I just wired the panels on?

Thank you so much!
Em

Sounds like you can run them ungrounded and they will just degrade slightly faster. I wouldn't bother trying to positive ground them. You probably won't be using them in 10 years anyway.

Thanks! Yeah, I just read through that thread, sounds like the output would just be worse. But several years ago when my friend last had these panels hooked up to a regular Outback inverter and charge controller, the inverter and battery failed, and I'm wondering if it's because of the panels? I'm afraid of frying my system in the same way...

I wonder if there is an internal bond between frame and the cells or junction boxes in the modules. Then you can’t avoid grounding them. Well it’s either that or not grounding your frames. RIP

Back