diy solar

diy solar

suntech stp175s-24/ad unexpected male to female adaptor

mcart117

Just picked up six used Suntech stp175 panels to add to my off-grid array.

The specs for this panel show a male connector coming off the positive side.
SuntechDiagram.jpg
But when I got home I noticed a strange female female dongle had been connected to the positive terminal to make it female. And the negative terminal was male.
Suntechpic2.jpg
Has anyone seen this before? Can I just pull off the dongle thing and push it on the negative terminal, or will that break it? I have tried pulling it, but it doesn't seem to want to come off.

Any other suggestions?

I didn't pay much for the panels, but it was a long drive to get them. And while it was absent minded not to spot the male female thing, I did a voltage check before buying them and they all work.

Those are some very old school modules. I'd cut those ends off and install my own MC4 connectors.

Those are some very old school modules. I'd cut those ends off and install my own MC4 connectors.
I might end up doing that, although if I buy the connectors locally. they'll cost more than the panels.

Although having said that, I don't need to change all of them: just one pair per pair of panels.

I might end up doing that, although if I buy the connectors locally. they'll cost more than the panels.

Although having said that, I don't need to change all of them: just one pair per pair of panels.
Rather than ponder on your series parallel arrangement I assumed you would come to that conclusion on your own.

And why did you even bother mentioning that to the person that tried to help you? Do it right regardless of cost.

And why did you even bother mentioning that to the person that tried to help you?
Just thinking aloud.

And what we write here is not only addressed to each other, but also anyone else who stumbles across the thread.

although if I buy the connectors locally. they'll cost more than the panels
Just go amazonian and buy a 24- or 30-pak of BougeRV MC4s and change them all. They aren’t expensive and they out lasted every other cheap one I bought (cheapos leak and would break in the wind in winter)

In the end I bought a 5-pack from Renogy. It will be enough for me, and it didn't break the bank.
I haven’t bought their stuff, but I would still seal the rubber compression sleeve inside and out with lexel from my past experiences. Theoretically the oring seal of the fitting’s coupling itself should play well together being the same brand.
Mixed brands do not seal reliably.
I’ve proven that several times. MC4 of one brand may not (and hasn’t/doesn’t in my experience) be waterproof to another brand.

Back