diy solar

diy solar

Super capacitor storage

mapsofilti

I have been very impressed with super capacitors in my electrical engineering experience. I would like to explore the cost effectiveness of building a super capacitor bank for energy storage to use at night time, especially considering the costs of these components from overseas is decreasing as time goes on and perhaps a high quality super capacitor bank could outlast conventional solar battery systems by even a decade or more. For my plan in mind, it would need to have enough energy for roughly 50 kWh.

Why would you use supercapacitor over LiFePO4? I use a hybrid system but it is for an edge case application requiring a small LiFePO4 battery and large inrush currents.

Other than that scenario i can’t see any advantages.

I have been very impressed with super capacitors in my electrical engineering experience. I would like to explore the cost effectiveness of building a super capacitor bank for energy storage to use at night time, especially considering the costs of these components from overseas is decreasing as time goes on and perhaps a high quality super capacitor bank could outlast conventional solar battery systems by even a decade or more. For my plan in mind, it would need to have enough energy for roughly 50 kWh.

Just had a quick look on ebay, found this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/395144813886?hash=item5c00775d3e:g:ES0AAOSwqxZi~xy7&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwONgRXSwgpFtK2EuKOSAuriQz4F1BjyE+os6anqTFivxhbh2e3dUL8czZt9YoydhjvUBOhiiURujg2ASpWavC3UcVppdAigHa0gO6ITZRNW2ZEVjiF40qO2TEdzcT48qd9kS2qfVFahVv6QZsy7KPvMdqlYWCttrUmRtsNnfiPMmbnmK3A/m7C4908GdIQjwlEl/VjtDQacWVHU8Ct45ELpBuC8/8McAU5nIskkIylfx5dhV1+XG5twxiuMjT284hg==|tkp:Bk9SR-aNvOquYw

166 Farads at 48v roughly $1,000 for a USED capacitor bank.

Charged up to 56v, stored energy = 1/2Cv squared.
166 divided by 2, multiplied by 56v x 56v = 260,288 Joules (watt seconds).
Discharged down to 40v, stored energy,
166 divided by 2, multiplied by 40v x 40v = 132,800 Joules.

Recoverable energy during discharge 260,288 - 132,800 = 127,488 Joules.
About half of the max initial stored energy, and you won't do much better than that.
127,488 watt seconds = 35.41 watt hours.

To get 50,000 watt hours we will need 50,000 divided by 35.41 = 1,449 of those thousand dollar batteries.

Do you have 1.5 million dollars to spend on a USED capacitor bank ?

Last edited:
Do you have 1.5 million dollars to spend on a USED capacitor bank ?

OK, I think that arithmetic nips it in the bud. Thanks for that.

The only use case I can comprehend is perhaps a small bank to handle the brief surge demand of power through an inverter for things like motors or heaters starting up.

The only use case I can comprehend is perhaps a small bank to handle the brief surge demand of power through an inverter for things like motors or heaters starting up.

Which good LF inverter/chargers already have. Hence the big spark when I connect my Samlex to the battery bank by just touching the cabling to a battery post.

I was just speaking with someone about this. From what he said they are about to launch a utility and a home based Super capacitor system. No details yet. I will update when he gets me the info

Yes, absolutely.
Capacitors are excellent for supplying and absorbing massive energy peaks for SHORT periods.
Batteries are a vastly more cost effective for supplying reasonably high energy over long periods.

Back