diy solar

diy solar

Surge Protection Devices- Do I need them?

Henderson

Solar Enthusiast
Hi. I'm wondering if there's a specific scenario where surge protection devices for panels are needed over another scenario. For example, I will have a configuration setup using 2x EG4 6500EX inverters and 4 strings each setup as a 7S (Trina 505W panels). The voltage and current ratings are within recommended parameters of the MPPTs of the EG4-6500EX inverters. Is it recommended that I have SPDs connected to each of my solar/PV strings?

Thanks in advance.

SPD's are recommended, in every spot where equipment could be damaged by a surge (not trying to be flippant); for me (off-grid) this is SPD's at inverter, SPD in circuit panel, and SPD's in front of critical electronics (things I care about and/or have to replace for big $). Search this forum for an example where the inverter SPD triggered, and probably saved the inverter (pics included).

Lightning protection is also recommended, but a bit of a black art ...

There should be only one "electrical wiring" ground, but there could be one or more "equipment (solar panel frame) grounds. Lightning would be it's own ground system, as it wouldn't tie into the electrical system, it just dumps direct/nearby hits to earth ground as direct as possible (if you put in a lightning protection system ... most folks may not be doing this).

If unsure, this is one area where an electrician would help ... not only to make sure you are doing it right, but that anything in place already has been done right (an effective ground, and no other problems).

Couldn't begin to guess where any of this goes in your scenario without a diagram, model numbers, etc. ... I'd suggest reviewing the installation guides for each product and seeing what they say. If they don't, directly ask the vendor. Then, more research about surge topics, lightning protection systems, etc.

So, in my case:
- magnum ms4024pae (midnite solar SPD's at dc & ac, this came pre-wired)
- standard 200-amp circuit breaker panel, breaker-type SPD in this panel (up at topmost position)
- SPD "power strips" and such located throughout the house.

And I still have to sort out a true lightning protection system, as a bolt struck a pine tree about 200' away, while I was watching from in the house ...

Note that I'm being very careful with wording, and I might still get some of it wrong ... it's that iffy to interpret.

Hope this helps ...

Hi. I'm wondering if there's a specific scenario where surge protection devices for panels are needed over another scenario. For example, I will have a configuration setup using 2x EG4 6500EX inverters and 4 strings each setup as a 7S (Trina 505W panels). The voltage and current ratings are within recommended parameters of the MPPTs of the EG4-6500EX inverters. Is it recommended that I have SPDs connected to each of my solar/PV strings?

Thanks in advance.
It is recommended for each circuit. (One string or multiple strings in parallel)
If the circuit runs some distance horizontally (like to a ground mount) , it's recommended for both ends of the circuit.

SPD's are recommended, in every spot where equipment could be damaged by a surge (not trying to be flippant); for me (off-grid) this is SPD's at inverter, SPD in circuit panel, and SPD's in front of critical electronics (things I care about and/or have to replace for big $). Search this forum for an example where the inverter SPD triggered, and probably saved the inverter (pics included).

Lightning protection is also recommended, but a bit of a black art ...

There should be only one "electrical wiring" ground, but there could be one or more "equipment (solar panel frame) grounds. Lightning would be it's own ground system, as it wouldn't tie into the electrical system, it just dumps direct/nearby hits to earth ground as direct as possible (if you put in a lightning protection system ... most folks may not be doing this).

If unsure, this is one area where an electrician would help ... not only to make sure you are doing it right, but that anything in place already has been done right (an effective ground, and no other problems).

Couldn't begin to guess where any of this goes in your scenario without a diagram, model numbers, etc. ... I'd suggest reviewing the installation guides for each product and seeing what they say. If they don't, directly ask the vendor. Then, more research about surge topics, lightning protection systems, etc.

So, in my case:
- magnum ms4024pae (midnite solar SPD's at dc & ac, this came pre-wired)
- standard 200-amp circuit breaker panel, breaker-type SPD in this panel (up at topmost position)
- SPD "power strips" and such located throughout the house.

And I still have to sort out a true lightning protection system, as a bolt struck a pine tree about 200' away, while I was watching from in the house ...

Note that I'm being very careful with wording, and I might still get some of it wrong ... it's that iffy to interpret.

Hope this helps ...
Thank you...appreciate this.

Back