diy solar

diy solar

Switched system to EG4 18kPV with LifePower4 battery bank - cannot get it to work properly

pnw_jess

Hi all,

New here - unfortunately my first post is not a positive one. I live off-grid in the western Washington area, I have a propane generator tied into the inverter that charges our batteries. We wanted to upgrade the whole system -- started with the generator a few months back (no issues with it on our old inverter/battery system), and moved into the inverter & battery install a couple days ago. Since setting up the inverter and batteries, I have had nothing but issues and I am hoping to gain some insight from folks on this forum.

My generator is a Generac 18kW. We have installed the EG4 18kPV inverter with 6 LifePower4 48V batteries, batteries are installed in parallel. I do not currently have any PVs set up. From our inverter, the load is going out to a main panel with 60A double-pole CB going into a subpanel (that powers everything in the house) and 3 20A CBs that power the shed, well pump, and charge the generator battery. The main panel is neutral-ground bonded, and the subpanel is not. (I have a picture of this system attached to this thread).

When I had initially set the system up, I was receiving a fault of "Vbus over range". This was "fixed" by kicking off the generator, which handled the load and charged the batteries up to 99%. The problems continued once the generator turned back off after the batteries were sufficiently charged. It has been two days now of continuous power surges with fault "Vbus over range", but my loads have been suuuuper minimal. I am talking unplugging everything and only running my Starlink Wi-Fi router and the fridge, maybe a few lights, and charging a phone/laptop here or there, adding up to a load of between 150-280W, give or take. Throughout these intermittent power surges, I have now short-circuited a microwave, hot water heater, oven, and 2 of the 3 Starlink routers I own (luckily I had some extras here, or I wouldn't be able to post this message!).

Admittedly, my original setup was slightly different in that I was T'ing off 240vac to both my shed panel and my home panel, essentially two "main panels", one of which was N-G bonded and one of which was not. I really hoped this was the problem, and completely changed the whole system to what it is now (main panel N-G bonded to sub panel that is not N-G bonded). Alas, this did not solve the problem.

Some other things that I have tried to help this situation:
  • Updated the firmware on the inverter - folks from Signature Solar were able to remote in and do this for me.
  • Supplement my power by kicking my generator back on - this has not helped, however, because the inverter is oddly no longer reading input from the generator. Not sure if this is because the batteries are still above my charge % that is in my settings or if it is a separate issue.
  • Reviewed all of my settings with Signature Solar - there were a few changes that were made, but the Vbus over range fault has continued after those changes.
  • Sent multiple images & videos to Signature Solar of my setup and am in the process of getting escalated to a tech from EG4 - not sure when I to expect to hear from them though, hence here I am.
At this point, I have re-routed my generator directly into my main panel just so I can get reliable power (I work from home, so this is especially important during the week). This is completely inefficient and is essentially just wasting propane. I am honestly stumped and have scoured this entire forum to find someone having similar issues to no avail. I will accept any suggestions you might have!

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 20
I just got the "Vbus over range" error myself this morning for the first time. House is also running completely off-grid and I have a battery bank of 5 LifePower4 48v batteries. For solar input I have fourteen 400W panels in series and that's my only input to the system.

Had minimal loads running, only 200-300 watts from lights and idle fridge. Wife turned on the blender (~500W draw) and it cut the AC output and PV input and reported the Vbus fault.

According to the manual the fault means that the "DC bus voltage is too high" and the following is the troubleshooting instructions:

Ensure the PV string voltage is within the inverter specification. If string voltage is within range and this fault persists, contact your supplier.

In the error state while it had AC output and PV input off, it showed 517V open circuit. Once the 18kPV cycled back to a normal state and PV input started operating, it showed 441V. Both open and operating PV voltage was within the 100-600V PV input range so I'm not sure why that fault would occur.

@pnw_jess anything to report from your issues? Were you able to find a solution?

I just got the "Vbus over range" error myself this morning for the first time. House is also running completely off-grid and I have a battery bank of 5 LifePower4 48v batteries. For solar input I have fourteen 400W panels in series and that's my only input to the system.

Had minimal loads running, only 200-300 watts from lights and idle fridge. Wife turned on the blender (~500W draw) and it cut the AC output and PV input and reported the Vbus fault.

According to the manual the fault means that the "DC bus voltage is too high" and the following is the troubleshooting instructions:

In the error state while it had AC output and PV input off, it showed 517V open circuit. Once the 18kPV cycled back to a normal state and PV input started operating, it showed 441V. Both open and operating PV voltage was within the 100-600V PV input range so I'm not sure why that fault would occur.

@pnw_jess anything to report from your issues? Were you able to find a solution?
Good afternoon!

Maybe I can help you out!

Have you connect the wireless adapter for the 18kpv? If so, can you send me your station name? I'd gladly take a look at your inverter and see what I can do to help.

How was this resolved?

A firmware update to version fAAB-1717 seems to have fixed the issue. Been running for a little over month with no issues so far.

In my case, inverter having the E19 error and it started frequently after update to FAAB-1717.

Seems to be related to reported low voltage and wattage on empty MPPT2 (PV2 nothing plugged into it, only plugged into left side of PV1) and nothing plugged into PV3 input. Maybe there is a board/solder/component issue causing power leakage somewhere.

Just got another "Vbus over range" fault today. I have panels hooked up to MPPT 1 and 2 but nothing on 3.

Looks like the firmware update didn't actually fix the issue. Going to get in touch with Signature Solar again about this.

Just got another "Vbus over range" fault today. I have panels hooked up to MPPT 1 and 2 but nothing on 3.

Looks like the firmware update didn't actually fix the issue. Going to get in touch with Signature Solar again about this.
Your vbus over voltage is a ground fault in the wiring or panel. I spent hours until I found the cause. If you have any wires in conduit, you can't see their condition and that is an issue.

I finally fixed my issues with errors ands faults. the problem was in the wire splices in the ground that were installed in splice cans. They were not waterproof and eventually deteriorated and caused ground faults and loss of voltage and power as they shorted.

Not knowing your system, this is what I suggest:

Strong visual inspection of every panel for hot spots on the cells, intact backing, intact frames and no moisture or condensation and discoloration.

Inspect MC4 connectors and make certain no cracks loosening or degradation. Uncouple and fill with dielectric grease, recouple.

Purchase a solar multimeter and use on each panel. about $80 on amazon.com Identify any bad panels and remove them.

Inspect your PV wires going into combiner box and or DC disconnect switch, especially the insulation.

Inspect and verify all grounding of the panel frames and mounts is intact and functional to a ground rod at the array.

Make certain voltage from PV+ to PV- and PV+ to ground are the same with no current flow.

Make certain 0 volts between PV- and ground.

Make certain voltage between PV+ and ground goes to zero with current flow.

Inspect your wires all the way for dampness, moisture, breaks in insulation and tight connections all the way to inverter.

The last things to do are to purchase new PV wire and run directly from the array panels to inverter, bypassing the combiner box, disconnect switch, fuses and breakers and see if it still faults. If it does, has to be in a panel(s).

Or purchase some panels and connect them very close to inverter and use a short run of PV wire into inverter directly and see if it still faults.

You have to be a real careful detective on this one.

These are photos of bad splices I found causing my faults and errors. They were done by a licensed master electrician. They belongs in a dry environment, not exposed to dampness and moisture.

Attachments

• 20240409_111402.jpg
    20240409_111402.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240403_112245.jpg
    20240403_112245.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240403_112255.jpg
    20240403_112255.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240409_111540.jpg
    20240409_111540.jpg