diy solar

diy solar

System design for spa installation

LouiseSJPP

I still need some of the basics here, too many gaps in my knowledge and I don't know the terms I'm looking for.

I want to create a solar system to operate my (wood-fired) spa pool, an island system because I don't want the complications of a grid-tie.

In simple terms, when the panel power available is sufficient, the 50 watt filter circulation pump should come on. When the power available exceeds 1KW, an inline 1kW water heater should cut in. In the background, a battery bank should be kept on charge, this being used occasionally to run the 1kW spa jet pump. In addition, there will be a small LED lighting load, at any time, ie, from the battery reserve.

Location is northern Spain, sky view is reasonable, rather than excellent. Some parts of the array could be shaded.

If the system is sized such that even on poor day in winter, the circulation pump will get an hour or two running, how much excess power will this deliver on a blazing summer day?

What panel size, battery capacity and component kit list should I be looking for?

I know that direct solar water heating is more efficient than using PV, and I could do a mix of both, but the motor loads must be met. I don't want any grid connection near this island. I'm hoping to avoid using the wood stove in summer, fearing it might be a)smoky, and b) too much of a fire hazard in the dry season.

Edited to add: I've found this very useful website, set to my location: https://globalsolaratlas.info/detai...ite&c=42.510577,-3.131104,8&pv=small,180,36,1

Last edited:
In simple terms, when the panel power available is sufficient, the 50 watt filter circulation pump should come on.
Are you planning on running the motor directly from the panel(s)? If so, match the array output voltage to the motor operating voltage and when enough watts are produced to overcome the motor/pump surge requirements, the motor will run.

Does your heater have a water pressure switch so that it will not heat without sufficient circulation?
Without knowing anything about your heater, its impossible to recommend how to turn it on.

Are you planning on running the motor directly from the panel(s)? If so, match the array output voltage to the motor operating voltage and when enough watts are produced to overcome the motor/pump surge requirements, the motor will run.

Does your heater have a water pressure switch so that it will not heat without sufficient circulation?
Without knowing anything about your heater, its impossible to recommend how to turn it on.

a) I don't know. What can be used to judge the point at which there is sufficient power to run the motor? The crucial point seems to be to match the run hours of motor and heater to the insolation so that the system will work each day. Maybe it should simply switch on at noon each day and run until the battery no longer feeds the inverter (presumably tripping a low voltage power-down), or 8pm, whichever happens first. But how to know when to switch the heater in and out?

b) The inline heater unit will have a thermostat, set to 30°, so any attempt to heat the water without the pump running will trip it out.

On reflection, the crux of the matter is that I have a small load (the pump motor) which I need to run several hours every day, and a large load (the heater) which can run when there is extra power. Maybe I could split out a part of the array and let that drive the motor load, and let the rest of the array drive the heating load.

Back