diy solar

diy solar

Talentcell 100ah LiFePo4

Hillbillybuddha

Last year Will did a review / breakdown of the TalentCell 100ah (111ah tested) LiFePo4 batteries. At the time they cost just under $800. When Will reviewed the battery, there was a problem with the cold shut-off sensor, but Will posted in the comments they the company seems to have fixed the issue.

Anyway, I was just looking on Amazon and the price has dropped to $470. Has anyone tried this out recently?

I haven't, but I don't live where it gets to below freezing when I'm charging the battery.

Caught this "build-up" instead of a teardown from the manufacturer:

Interesting.

I prefer cylindricals because I don't have to think about cell-compression like I did with my prismatics.

The funny thing is watching marketing try to play this difference out on consumers. Watched a manufacturer take some campers into a new facility ....

"You see Cindy, the important thing is to keep cell-count down. Here, with our prismatics, unlike cheaper offerings that use cylindricals that come out of your computer, in our 4S 12v battery there are only 4 cells to deal with, hence we offer much tighter specifications and integrity!"

Had Cindy been shown that there are up to 10-20 flat-pack pouches paralleled inside each those prismatic cells, well ... game over salesbuddy!

Cell quality: So ok, no this isn't a Battleborn. But as some may surmise, it may not be a case of "Grade-B" cells. Just ones designed for a much lower level of performance, still "Grade-A" for the low-current application they were intended for.

Consider the following LFP's for your solar garden walkway lights. They aren't using "Grade-B" AA cells. Look at the spec *carefully*

• Max Constant Discharge Current 3C5A
  • Max Continuous Charge Current 1C5A
WHOA! You CANNOT hammer these things at 3C or 1C as we know it. That "5A" represents at the 5-hour rate, not the 20-hour rate we are accustomed to! Which means you have to base your C rate on a much LOWER capacity. (which is lead-acid thing really, but the math for the average consumer may mislead them into thinking you can hit these like cells hard using the C/20 rate as a reference - not intended for solar-garden use.

So just saying that the Talentcell's and perhaps even the Miady's are similar over-grown LFP cells which are designed for a different low-power application, and not simply Grade-B rejects. Hence your bms cost can be cheaper too since you don't want to exceed 0.5C (at the C/20 rate) anyway. Makes me wonder if other prismatic makers may be leaving off that all-important "5A" - even if the cells pass an initial bench-test, but I'll take my conspiracy hat off now. :)

That's what I think is happening at this low end anyway. My 24ah Talentcell's have been doing fine, but I'm not going to punish them.

Last edited:
Sorry man - I lost focus. Perhaps others can remark about the low-temp sensor.
Nah man, I really appreciated you taking the time to really look into them. Honestly, I'm really new to this and I didn't understand half of what you said. But my overall feeling was that you liked them.

I'm trying to understand the basics LFP batteries before I design my boats power systems.

Yeah, I get excited and go total WOT (wall of text) sometimes. :)

Cool on the boat! There'a special sub-forum here for that. Just be sure to specify what your application is - is it fish-finders, trolling, radios - stuff like that? Or is it motive-power / propulsion?

This determines what type of cell you *should* use. For instance, for propulsion / motive power, building a bank out of Talentcell's own cells would not work well. For that, something like A123 or high-rate cells designed for that type of duty would be more appropriate.

At the end of the day no matter what - not having to worry about sulfation and lead-acid maintenance is just pure joy.

At the end of the day no matter what - not having to worry about sulfation and lead-acid maintenance is just pure joy.
Amen! I second that emotion! My first three years off-grid was made possible through the use of fla batteries. I ended up killing them way too early. Terrible waste of money on my part. I have converted to lifepo4 and been "living between the knees" for a bit now and loving it.

Back