diy solar

diy solar

Tax Credit apply to Building your own batteries?

WilliamFR

I see a ton of posts about tax credits but I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I know you can get the credit for DIY, but I’m not sure how far that goes. If I purchase for example, 280ah cells and put together my own batteries, does that qualify for the tax credit? Or is it only prebuilt batteries? Not really sure where the line is drawn there. Thanks.

If it's part of your solar system, everything counts.
Just claim your out of pocket expenses. And provide proof of purchase.

I see a ton of posts about tax credits but I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I know you can get the credit for DIY, but I’m not sure how far that goes. If I purchase for example, 280ah cells and put together my own batteries, does that qualify for the tax credit? Or is it only prebuilt batteries? Not really sure where the line is drawn there. Thanks.
I don't know the number off the top of my head but there is a specific tax form for the federal credit. I suggest you get the form and read both the form and any documents from US Gov about the program. I built an grid tie system in 2019, claimed all my new tools, building materials, etc. I build an emergency standby system last year, including 12 new panels and claimed the panels, inverters, and battery cells (my biggest cost items). Not saying I did everything correct, but I think I did, but read it for yourself. I seem to recall that a claim needs to include at least one solar panel (if it is solar renewable).

Yes, the claim must include at least one solar dedicated piece of equipment.
Solar panel
Solar charge controller
Inverter with solar input
The claim is simple, the possible audit is when you need proof.

Yes, the claim must include at least one solar dedicated piece of equipment.
Solar panel
Solar charge controller
Inverter with solar input
The claim is simple, the possible audit is when you need proof.
Laser level, nice post hold diggers, masonry hole saw, all 30% off.

So if you add new batteries the second year you own the solar equipment but don't add anything else does that battery purchase qualify?

Back