diy solar

diy solar

Are AliBaba LiFePo4 batteries eligible for IRS Tax Credit?

bigforrap

Looking at buying 16kWh of LiFePo4 batteries (16 cells) from China, and shipping them to my US address, and installing in my US home. Planning on claiming the cells using the IRS Residential Clean Energy Credit, which allowed battery cell purchases starting for tax year 2023.

I know I am well above the 3kWh requirement for batteries, but can't find any language on whether the cells have to be procured from a US-based business, or manufactured in US. I know these are stipulations that affect EV tax credits. The IRS documentation is linked below for reference.

IRS Website: Residential Clean Energy Credit

Has anyone purchased cells from China and claimed as a tax credit for 2023? Any advice or input?
Thanks!

To mods, first post, accidentally placed in wrong section of forum. Can this be moved to General Battery Discussion?

I think the consensus here is that it is fine. I haven't heard anything about sourcing requirements for ESS batteries.

I wasn't even aware that there was a restriction against bare cells.

Oh, did you mean the new ability to get ESS credit on a storage-only install?

Rules are very loose. Doesn't need solar. I could charge it from coal all day long and it's still fine. As long as it's installed and put in service.

Qualified battery storage technology costs.

Qualified battery storage technology costs are costs for battery storage technology that is installed in connection with your home located in the United States and has a capacity of at least 3 kilowatt hours.

Back