diy solar

diy solar

Terminal Blocks and Class 6 (Extra Fine Stranded) Conductors

I agree! I just heard back from the distributor and they said they can't find anything either way. They found the "fine strand" info as well.

They recommended I call Wago directly and they gave me a contact number.

Have you tried calling Wago directly?

I found this as well. Interesting and I think you're set.

No, i didn't try to call wago. I previously had experience with Phoenix contact over email... "We don't deal with private customers" etc.

I assume wago is similar.

I could try to contact them from work email though I guess.

No, i didn't try to call wago. I previously had experience with Phoenix contact over email... "We don't deal with private customers" etc.

I assume wago is similar.

I could try to contact them from work email though I guess.
@Dave911 Actually those plans went out of the window today. I just got laid off 😓. So no option to contact WAGO as a "business customer".

@Dave911 Actually those plans went out of the window today. I just got laid off 😓. So no option to contact WAGO as a "business customer".

Sorry to hear that.
Unplanned changes like that can be very stressful.
Hopefully this results in a better situation for you.
I was laid off 21 years ago, so I started my own company.
In hindsight, they did me a favor.
But at the time things felt pretty bleak.
You will get through it. Folks with any kind of technical training are in high demand in the States.
There is a big shortage of workers here that know something. Seriously.

Sorry to hear that.
Unplanned changes like that can be very stressful.
Hopefully this results in a better situation for you.
I was laid off 21 years ago, so I started my own company.
In hindsight, they did me a favor.
But at the time things felt pretty bleak.
You will get through it. Folks with any kind of technical training are in high demand in the States.
There is a big shortage of workers here that know something. Seriously.
I kinda see your point. But unfortunately life sometimes isn't fair. Been struggling a lot with health these latest years and they fired me because I'm effectively not working full time, even though, when I'm working, I'm ultra productive. Effectively they tanked the project I'm working on, didn't inform the project responsible and colleagues and just wrote an email that "i'll have to discuss with the project responsible so that the project won't be impacted due to my leave". Yeah... Good luck with that. One colleague quit a month ago becauss they tried to push something onto him. Now they fired me because I was effectively working 80% or so and they need 100%. Now they got 0% and the only remaining guy will be left in the lurch and overstressed as well ... Worst possible handover in like 15 minutes...

Also here in Denmark there is quite a high demand. But, due to these health condition, I don't see myself building my own company. The feeling of having to deal even more with this rotten government with accountants and what not just makes my blood boil...

But this time I'll need to be much more selective in the job that I accept. When the interview starts with "we need on time delivery above everything else and 80% quality is enough" or things along those lines I'll just say no thanks. Tired of project managers and management that things everything is easy... The devil is in the detail. That's also why I ask this question on the terminal block after all. Many others would have just used it. I don't want unforeseen consequences ... Just because you don't understand the reason you can/cannot do something, doesn't mean there isn't one.

The timing of the lay off seems also a bit too much of a coincidence...

Last edited:
I'm assuming you can get unemployment during your job search? How much percentage does that cover of your previous wage in Denmark?

I'm assuming you can get unemployment during your job search? How much percentage does that cover of your previous wage in Denmark?
Yeah but you know ... with the base unemployement insurance (paid !) it would be like 25% or so. With the extra insurance I paid for maybe more like 70-80% in total.

But for 4 months I am still paid by my current employer ... So I have a bit of time to look around.

Despite what people might think or dream about Denmark, the summary is: LOW Welfare, HIGH Taxes. Let that sink in ...

Interesting. Sorry to hear of your health problems. You def wouldn't get 4 months of severance pay after 3 years of service in the US. Fingers crossed for a nice low stress position.

Interesting. Sorry to hear of your health problems. You def wouldn't get 4 months of severance pay after 3 years of service in the US. Fingers crossed for a nice low stress position.
You also don't pay 50% of your salary in taxes. And I still need to figure out what *I end up getting after so much taxes.

Last edited:
Not to pry, but any chance you were employed by Orsted? It’s crazy at the challenges they’ve been facing here in the US and the write downs they’ve incurred.

Wago responded:

Reply from Wago.JPG

It sounds to me like you could put pretty much anything that would fit in that terminal and it would clamp down on it nicely. But considering the cost, it should be really nice.

Regarding your job loss; High taxes suck. Canada has significantly higher taxes that we do in the US. I have relatives in Canada and they cross the border to buy things since they are quite a bit cheaper here. I don't understand all of that. But when I traveled to Canada in the past, the sales tax ended up being about 15% as I recall. On the other hand they have good healthcare, but they pay for it in their taxes. Healthcare in the US can be crazy expensive. As in you can go bankrupt, if you don't have the right insurance.
In the US, three years of employment in the US will generally net you 3 weeks of severance pay and then you would be on unemployment which is not very good here.. I had 11 years with a company and I was laid off and I think I got about 12 weeks of severance pay in the US. At the time unemployment would pay about 20% of my previous income. I didn't even bother to apply. I started chasing work as a contractor and found some work within a few weeks.

Last edited:
Wago responded:

View attachment 203540

It sounds to me like you could put pretty much anything that would fit in that terminal and it would clamp down on it nicely. But considering the cost, it should be really nice.

Regarding your job loss; High taxes suck. Canada has significantly higher taxes that we do in the US. I have relatives in Canada and they cross the border to buy things since they are quite a bit cheaper here. I don't understand all of that. But when I traveled to Canada in the past, the sales tax ended up being about 15% as I recall. On the other hand they have good healthcare, but they pay for it in their taxes. Healthcare in the US can be crazy expensive. As in you can go bankrupt, if you don't have the right insurance.
In the US, three years of employment in the US will generally net you 3 weeks of severance pay and then you would be on unemployment which is not very good here.. I had 11 years with a company and I was laid off and I think I got about 12 weeks of severance pay in the US. At the time unemployment would pay about 20% of my previous income. I didn't even bother to apply. I started chasing work as a contractor and found some work within a few weeks.
Alright ... Surprised about the taxes/unemployment part mainly. Also here in Denmark it shouldn't be very difficult in theory, there is a huge lack of electrical engineers. But I really cannot handle stress that well.

Many thanks for having contacted WAGO for me (y).

About the WAGO 285-150, this is what could be connected to it according to the datasheet
1711087979763.png

AWG7 or 10mm2 is a bit on the low end (but still within the allowed range).

Now the question is ...

Do I put BOTH wires inside ONE WAGO 285-150 then go out with 35mm2 on the other end ? That would be the easiest. And given that 4 x 10mm2 < 50mm2 (4 being the ratio based on radius^2, i.e.I could put a wire with a double equivalent diameter than 10mm2 and still be within spec) I could in theory just put them side by side in (strip them, then maybe cable tie / tape them together so they are properly guided in the clamp side by side).

Otherwise I would use 2 x WAGO 285-150 with a Jumper linking them and one wire in each (and out only from one, which could create some current unbalance).

Alternative would be of course 3 x WAGO 285-150 with 2 jumpers and out from the middle one, that way it should be "symmetric".

Alright ... Surprised about the taxes/unemployment part mainly. Also here in Denmark it shouldn't be very difficult in theory, there is a huge lack of electrical engineers. But I really cannot handle stress that well.

Many thanks for having contacted WAGO for me (y).

About the WAGO 285-150, this is what could be connected to it according to the datasheet
View attachment 203620

AWG7 or 10mm2 is a bit on the low end (but still within the allowed range).

Now the question is ...

Do I put BOTH wires inside ONE WAGO 285-150 then go out with 35mm2 on the other end ? That would be the easiest. And given that 4 x 10mm2 < 50mm2 (4 being the ratio based on radius^2, i.e.I could put a wire with a double equivalent diameter than 10mm2 and still be within spec) I could in theory just put them side by side in (strip them, then maybe cable tie / tape them together so they are properly guided in the clamp side by side).

Otherwise I would use 2 x WAGO 285-150 with a Jumper linking them and one wire in each (and out only from one, which could create some current unbalance).

Alternative would be of course 3 x WAGO 285-150 with 2 jumpers and out from the middle one, that way it should be "symmetric".
Both conductors are identical. I would put them in side by side. Just make sure both bump into the inside stop surface as you clamp them.

Both conductors are identical. I would put them in side by side. Just make sure both bump into the inside stop surface as you clamp them.
That's why usually a strip a few mm extra / more (2-3mm more) than what is stated on the WAGO datasheet, that way you are sure you are clamping on the conductor, not on the insulation, and it is indeed reaching the inside stop.

Anyway the "entrance" is made for 1000V so the clearance/creepage is VERY large, so it's not like the bare conductor is sticking out a whole lot.

Back