diy solar

diy solar

Tesla EV Portable Charger has a ground fault: New EG4 6000XP Inverter offgrid

KC Desert

I just powered on my 6000XP off grid system for the first time with the EG4 wall mount battery and it is getting solar input and the light on the inverter is solid green and happy. However the Tesla portable charger is giving me a ground error with two red light flashes. The outlet is a NEMA 14-30R and all grounds in the system are solidly connected and run into the grounding rod outside. I checked all grounds in the distribution panel and on the inverter. I do see 120v when I flip on the EPS switch. Any ideas if this is what it should show me? I thought it would show 240. Inverter is going to the load center with a two pole 40A breaker and a two pole 30A breaker on the load side of the panel. Thanks in advance for any guidance on this new build!

Do I need to enabled the inverter GN bond internally? My ground is separated from the Neutral on its own ground bar from the inverter to the load center and out to earth ground from there. The ground on the inverter is running to the ground bar in the center.

Last edited:
Are you sure the NEMA 14-30R is wired correctly with Neutral and Ground going to the correct terminals?

I use a Tesla portable cord via a 14-50R on my GoodWe inverter all the time without any issue.

Are you sure the NEMA 14-30R is wired correctly with Neutral and Ground going to the correct terminals?

I use a Tesla portable cord via a 14-50R on my GoodWe inverter all the time without any issue.
Yes they appear to be going to the correct terminals and I followed the manual for the and here is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 4
My grounds in the distribution center are to the bar, not to the central ground on the main but I could shutdown and run a solid copper from the main on the panel to the ground bar correct? Then disable the internal GN on the inverter. image.jpg

My grounds in the distribution center are to the bar, not to the central ground on the main but I could shutdown and run a solid copper from the main on the panel to the ground bar correct? Then disable the internal GN on the inverter. View attachment 220666

So your neutral and ground are not connect to the main panel? I would go back and connect that way and utilize the NG bond there..

I disabled the internal NG bond and ran a solid copper jumper from the NG bond terminal in the load center to the ground bar I installed in the load center box. Then the ground goes to earth from there. Tesla was happy to get the juice!
Thanks so much. I just did the same thing and it worked. Now to add to my collection of EG4 LL S’s

diy solar

diy solar
Back