diy solar

diy solar

The Basicmost Question

denno

Good morning (or whatever time of day you are experiencing)

My wife and I thirst for seeing our excessively spinning meter slow down or run backwards.
Occasionally along comes an email promising some secret plan for installing solar....just buy their book.---and save tens of thousands that professional installers will charge you. (I have become chary of any marketing that scrolls WAY down the page touting a product but not revealing the price upfront.)

In the end, I'd just like an answer to something like:
Is is possible, DIY, to go up on my barn roof (plenty large, 45 deg angle, facing south) and mount however many panels, wire them up and run a line downstairs to the service panel, with whatever interface the local power company needs to measure and use whatever I generate? Can I figure out what it will cost? Is it straightforward or is any of it tricky to do right and get it working?

I'd like to just start from there.

denno

Can it be done? Yes. Estimating the cost gets tricky and time consuming. Getting all the permitting and inspections and permission from the power company/county is definitely the hardest part though.

There's a reason there are professional installers. :)

First step is to contact the PUD and ask if they even allow you to back feed their grid. Some utility companies don't allow it so check before you start.

Second step is to take a measuring tape to the roof and figure out your square footage is so you can figure out how many panels you could physically fit.

Third step is to decide if you want to just get the meter running backwards or if you want to get batteries and inverters involved so you can live on the solar power when the power lines are down.

4th step is to start researching into the NEC and local building codes for what parts are required besides the panels (disconnects, what type of mounts are allowed, etc.)

5th step is to research it again and again and again until you can quote it all back in your sleep. Many of the codes will seem to be conflicting with other parts of the code.

6th step is to rethink the whole idea before you start spending any money. Still want to pursue? Good! Too much hassle and hoops? That's OK too.

Can it be done? Yes.

Second step is to take a measuring tape to the roof and figure out your square footage is so you can figure out how many panels you could physically fit.
Step 2B: Get an engineer involved to make sure the old barn will support all those panels

There are a lot of solar scams out there. They are big in FL. I advise against any 'no money' deals that take a cut on utility bill savings. They usually entangle your property in liens that can make it very difficult to sell your house without buying out the contract that will cost you much more than if you paid for everything upfront. Most of the time that is what they are counting on to make real money.

Back