diy solar

diy solar

the rapidly changing inverter landscape

The first introduction to the grit wheel steel cutting chop saw I had was back in 1975 where I ran one in a Fab shop while a Junior in High School. They very much were not used for wood cutting. The new steel cutting blade saws are a more recent thing. Never tried one.

So who knows, maybe this stuff changes and dogs are now called cats. :p
Yea I know exactly which saws you're talking about. They're definitely very different from the "regular" wood cutting ones and all the plastics they use
We have a steel one, works fine. In my experience though putting the blade on any other of the saws works pretty much the same.
All the steel is hollow tube though so not sure if it was 100% solid the motor is probably better on them

I think expected LRA/Inrush, 5x running current, was well over Rosie's 16kW or 20kW (depending on whos data sheet).
Might have been about 30kW as I recall.
So not at all unexpected that Rosie would give up. Guess he needs to parallel a couple. Better yet, get three and run 3-phase.

I would expect my 4x SI to start it (capability of 44kW 3 second surge, about 1000A from batteries)
That's getting absurd in price. 3-phase motor and VFD for no surge would be the way to go.

Just keep running load of motors no greater than 20% of inverter surge rating.

WOW sure glad I & nobody else follow this. I don't think these saws that fit in your specs would work very well
1711653040864.png

The max instantaneous amps will always be when you pull the trigger to start the saw. Or if you were to bind the saw so heavily in the work that it came to a stop.

Either way that's LRA.
Yes that makes sense,
Bogging the saw down or binding it to a stop will be a longer duration of heavy load then saw start up.

WOW sure glad I & nobody else follow this. I don't think these saws that fit in your specs would work very well
View attachment 205352

If you have an electric portable saw, almost certainly either brush type or BLDC, not induction.
If output of a generator sags, no harm no foul. The motor just draws less current, but starts anyway.

What's the LRA or stall current of your saw?

Induction motors generally either start in an instant, or don't start at all.

If you have an electric portable saw, almost certainly either brush type or BLDC, not induction.
If output of a generator sags, no harm no foul. The motor just draws less current, but starts anyway.

Induction motors generally either start in an instant, or don't start at all.
Your original post didn't say only induction does it?
You don't think large stationary saws use induction motors on power tools?
I'm sure the chainsaw is a brushed motor, and almost the battery operated stuff these days is brushless

idk I never stall it, too fast and I have ears. I pull it away before stalling like some sort of wizard that has used a saw for more than 1 day

Do these miter/chop saws say that rating on them somewhere?

Just keep running load of motors no greater than 20% of inverter surge rating.
Your original post didn't say only induction does it?
You don't think large stationary saws use induction motors on power tools?

Do these miter/chop saws say that rating on them somewhere?

You're right, I didn't qualify that one with "induction".

Only some motor plates give LRA, probably all large ones and 3-phase do. For induction motors, I assume 5x LRA [Edit, typo, meant LRA = 5x FLA!]. I've only tested a couple small motors at home.

Brush type, I haven't noticed LRA. They can start and run on almost anything. For instance, debugging a 230V Miele washer, I fed the motor 24VDC to confirm operation. I think it normally got PWM off rectified line voltage (350VDC)

Obviously whatever you're using in the field is working. With a (non inverter) generator, you do have a spinning mass behind it, should help with your stationary equipment. Any hand-held saw is going to be a higher speed motor for power to weight ratio.

Last edited:
You're right, I didn't qualify that one with "induction".

Only some motor plates give LRA, probably all large ones and 3-phase do. For induction motors, I assume 5x LRA. I've only tested a couple small motors at home.

Brush type, I haven't noticed LRA. They can start and run on almost anything. For instance, debugging a 230V Miele washer, I fed the motor 24VDC to confirm operation. I think it normally got PWM off rectified line voltage (350VDC)

Obviously whatever you're using in the field is working. With a (non inverter) generator, you do have a spinning mass behind it, should help with your stationary equipment. Any hand-held saw is going to be a higher speed motor for power to weight ratio.
From what I looked up, many or most miter saws are indeed induction
I assume my band saw and all that other crap is as well.
5x LRA is nuts though <___<

yea for handhelds the brush vs brushless is pretty much just "how much money do you want to spend" brushed motors still last forever so no reason to go out and switch to brushless everything

My welder spikes to 2800 watts, it dims the lights every time it starts on 120v so I generally use it on 240v. I just keep it running and don't stop, cuz it goes way down to 1000 something immediately

I have no 3 phase anything, I could technically run inverters in 3 phase but they're not popular at all in any types of "regular" shop tools.
I wish they were, because 3 phase motors kick ass. That's why so much BLDC is taking over

"5x LRA"? Did I type that? (yes, I did, corrected now)

LRA is about 5x FLA.
I've always read 2.5 running watts or amps. I do know my well pump will spike for about 2ms at 4.5 running amps but there is some head there. I used a scope with an amps probe to see the spike. I was concerned the LV6548's might not be able to power it before I had everything installed. But it was no concern, that short ms spike doesn't amount to much and with a good sized battery bank it isn't a problem.

Back