diy solar

diy solar

the rapidly changing inverter landscape

These aren't really the same because i'm pretty sure you're spinning up the saw before starting to cut. The compressor on the other hand is pumping all the time, and 0psi start a LOT easier than 100psi start.
I agree and wouldn't have shared if the compressor weren't pre charged. I know my "LF" TP6048 struggled to start that compressor and wish I had a video to compare to the ASF.

I definitely let the saw spin up 99% of the time. I've had no issues with my chop saw or table saw cutting and ripping soft and hard woods.

Need to get back to finishing my taxes so I can buy more batteries and AIOs. 😉

I run an air compressor and various other tools plus my water pump. Typically when people have trouble with a HF inverter it comes down to inadequate battery capacity and cabling.
I have a friend that replaced a old outback system with Solark, the old system was 2 3648 watt outback inverters, ran 2 well pumps, a pressure pump and everything in the house just fine. Replaced with a Solark 12k and 28kwh of lithium batteries with a 8 foot section of 4/0 battery cable.
With the new system it got a over current Fault.
They replaced it with a Solark 15k and it is working now without faults.

Last edited:
Well I'll believe it when I see someone do it on youtube. But I haven't owned any of these inverters either, so idk.

Midnight Rosie (HF) was shown to start 4x DeWalt air compressors simultaneously.
That is a brush-type motor, as I pointed out, so not the same torture test as induction motors.
I think they also started 1x deep well pump.

These aren't really the same because i'm pretty sure you're spinning up the saw before starting to cut. The compressor on the other hand is pumping all the time, and 0psi start a LOT easier than 100psi start.

No compressor should start into 100 psi, there is an unloader.
But maybe pressure starts to build before motor is up to speed.
I would consider adding an accumulator (some volume) after compressor head and before pressure control switch (with another check valve if necessary.)

I killed my 2HP Dayton compressor motor, maybe due to brownout fed from L1/L2 on non-ganged breaker (on grid).
Put a 3-phase motor on it for the time being, which starts readily (on Sunny Island 120/208Y).

Midnight Rosie (HF) was shown to start 4x DeWalt air compressors simultaneously.
That is a brush-type motor, as I pointed out, so not the same torture test as induction motors.
I think they also started 1x deep well pump.

Only documented overload of a Rosie so far here at 9:38 with a 240v induction motor belt drive air compressor. And to be fair he said the same compressor can overload a pair of XW's too.

My main interest is I'd like to know what the Rosie sounds like under a regular 3-6kW load. It seems pretty quiet in the video, but can't really know until I hear it in person. The XW has a bit of a 60hz grind to it that can be faintly heard from an adjacent room.

I think expected LRA/Inrush, 5x running current, was well over Rosie's 16kW or 20kW (depending on whos data sheet).
Might have been about 30kW as I recall.
So not at all unexpected that Rosie would give up. Guess he needs to parallel a couple. Better yet, get three and run 3-phase.

I would expect my 4x SI to start it (capability of 44kW 3 second surge, about 1000A from batteries)
That's getting absurd in price. 3-phase motor and VFD for no surge would be the way to go.

Just keep running load of motors no greater than 20% of inverter surge rating.

I don't believe that. 10" not a handheld circular.
Good for you, are we working on faith now?
Do you think I carry around my 12 inch chop saw blade (not wimpy 10 inch like you) around in my pocket or something?

blade size isn't even relevant to how many watts the saws pull

blade size isn't even relevant to how many watts the saws pull
Blade size is relevant to the work required to get it up to speed, so the heavier the blade the longer duration the motor will be pulling LRA surge.

I said in my first post, I don't know what these inverters can do. If someone would put a chop saw on a long extension cord on them on youtube I would be entertained to watch.

I agree they aren't the same, a fully charged compressor will take alot of juice to start.
Im my experience cutting bigger dimension wood with a saw can create friction and the spin up doesn't really matter, especially if you cut through a knot.
When you hear the saw bog down you are pulling max amps

Last edited:
On a 120vAC chop saw cutting 4x6, unless thin wall tubing, it is likely to burn it up or trip the breaker on a normal grid circuit.

Not to overstate things but the concept that you need a LF inverter to start loads is a bit overdone. Many folks are getting by without much problems with HF inverters. A good rule of thumb for me is if the load is 1500w capacitive it will run with a 3000w rated inverter (6000w surge).
I don't have any wimpy 4x6 but I have 4x8 which I just cut
my saw isn't big enough maybe I need a 14 inch miter saw
1711649886270.png

Reactions: Zwy
Also the largest difference... one is 120v and the other is 240v..

I don't have any wimpy 4x6 but I have 4x8 which I just cut
my saw isn't big enough maybe I need a 14 inch miter saw
Chop saws in my definition cut steel. Miter saws and radial arm saws are used to cut wood. Not really relevant to the LF versus HF debate since it comes down to if it plugs into a 120vAC standard outlet can the inverter start and run it. HF's get a bum rap by the LF crowd.

I have a friend that replaced a old outback system with Solark, the old system was 2 3648 watt outback inverters, ran 2 well pumps, a pressure pump and everything in the house just fine. Replaced with a Solark 12k and 28kwh of lithium batteries with a 8 foot section of 4/0 battery cable.
With the new system it got a over current Fault.
They replaced it with a Solark 15k and it is working now without faults.
I believe the solark 12ks would shutdown if you exceeded ~4800W on a single leg due to design.

Chop saws in my definition cut steel. Miter saws and radial arm saws are used to cut wood. Not really relevant to the LF versus HF debate since it comes down to if it plugs into a 120vAC standard outlet can the inverter start and run it. HF's get a bum rap by the LF crowd.
Is there actually a difference? I've heard them interchanged for my entire life
Pretty interesting, doesn't seem the actual difference is yours though:
The biggest difference between a chop saw and a miter saw is one is designed for making straight cuts across materials, while the other is designed for making angled cuts at precise angles. A chop saw generally has a larger and more powerful motor than a miter saw, allowing it to easily handle larger pieces of wood.

I know what you're saying though, the chop saws for cutting tile and steel etc.
I use both for either, what matters is the speed you go at them and the blade you're using.

Yea like I said, I run my 120v welder and saw all the time
I also have a ~1650 watt chainsaw I run on a 400ft extension cord
These are far superior to any gas ones, a lot of loggers are starting to bring generators up into the logging area to plug in instead of deal with mixed fuel and carb shit

Anyway these yellow 3000 watt EG4 inverters do just fine, I want the 6000XP but it came out after I got mine, I'll get one for my next ones

Pretty interesting, doesn't seem the actual difference is yours though:

I know what you're saying though, the chop saws for cutting tile and steel etc.
I use both for either, what matters is the speed you go at them and the blade you're using.

Yea like I said, I run my 120v welder and saw all the time
I also have a ~1650 watt chainsaw I run on a 400ft extension cord
These are far superior to any gas ones, a lot of loggers are starting to bring generators up into the logging area to plug in instead of deal with mixed fuel and carb shit

Anyway these yellow 3000 watt EG4 inverters do just fine, I want the 6000XP but it came out after I got mine, I'll get one for my next ones
Are logging pros that cut all day really using something like that $100 corded saw? Still can't beat the power density of 2 stroke mix for hours of cutting imo. And then when you do head home your load is lighter.

Are logging pros that cut all day really using something like that $100 corded saw? Still can't beat the power density of 2 stroke mix for hours of cutting imo. And then when you do head home your load is lighter.
This out performs all of the stihl saws and has built in sharpener
Several I know are, yes. There's even 2 guys on youtube that do
Still can't beat the power density of 2 stroke mix for hours of cutting imo. And then when you do head home your load is lighter.
Yes you can, a 4 stroke generator takes 1/1000th the maintenance, the saw just runs non stop for years. You don't need to repair anything, the blade lasts until the metal doesn't exist on it.
We don't head home, we're sleeping out in the forest and generally helicopters come in to take out logs.

2 stroke saws have been peoples bane for 100 years, 90% of your cutting energy is gone by the time you get the shittier ones started.. only 40% if you have husqvarna and 50%-60% if you have stihl in cold weather

The first introduction to the grit wheel steel cutting chop saw I had was back in 1975 where I ran one in a Fab shop while a Junior in High School. They very much were not used for wood cutting. The new steel cutting blade saws are a more recent thing. Never tried one.

So who knows, maybe this stuff changes and dogs are now called cats. :p

Back