diy solar

diy solar

THHN wire and NEC 310 - there are no markings on THHN wire - now what

TheMadNucleus

I was planning on using 4AWG for a 80A service panel (and transfer switch for Off-grid supply to certain circuits) but then after purchasing the THHN (which is not cheap) realized that it is not labeled with Voltage rating, AWG size, etc. as per article NEC 310.120 - all thoughts welcome. Can this be used in electrical applications?

That's quite unusual.
What markings does it have?
Where did you purchase this wire?
I'd wager it won't be approved to use it.

I purchased it from a local electrical supply house. It has absolutely no markings on it. According to the supply house the brand is Southwire. This is the same as Home Depot - they sell the same wire - absolutely no markings on it and it is also southwire brand.

According to the supply house (well known in this area for supplies to electricians) they sell tons of this stuff to electricians - particularly since it is easy to pull through conduits and the smaller gauge size for ampacity compared to Aluminum.

False Alarm - I called the supply house they said it's definitely marked - I looked again - and yes it is - faintly so - but it's there. Sorry for the erroneous post :(

Back