diy solar

diy solar

New PV system and discussion from California

matsonburger

I am a new member from Inyo County, California.
This will be a long entry because I am not sure if or how to break it up into smaller distinct threads.
I have been researching topics on this forum for over nearly a year. This is a fantastic resource!!

I have had my system up and running for over two months now. This is on a grid tied single family home.
Our actual power bill is quite low, perhaps $30/ month. We have many propane appliances. I would project a payback period of about 30 years given current usage...hence this project was perhaps more driven by other concerns.
I got started in this process because I did not want to be without power for any length of time, with refrigeration being my primary concern.

What I now tell folks is that a gas (or simpler propane) generator is the cheapest way to go. However, if one is not home to turn on a generator the situation becomes more complex. Some sort of rechargeable battery, with or without solar, seems the next best thing. For example a Bluetti solar power bank.

Such products seem to be perfect in many applications, but are certainly limited in capacity.
If greater capacity and flexibility are attractive features, then full fledged systems with panels, charge controllers, inverters and batteries seem the way to go. I chose to follow that path.

How big of a system to build is the first question. I purchased a Euphoria Energy device first, to accurately measure my usage. This is my first endorsement...what a fantastic device. Real time usage and over time graphs, all available remotely by wifi apps. I took a look at the Sense and was impressed with the easy of installation and the number of folks who purchased this. However I just would not tolerate the machine learning algorithms that never seemed to work quite right. Installation was more tedious and there is a limitation to the number of circuits that can be measured. Your circuit panel suddenly gets very messy...so just put the cover back on and leave it be!

So while refrigeration may be the most essential thing to have back up power for, added capacity is always attractive, so, as many of you have experienced, the motivation to build larger and larger systems increases. And on top of that, there is that allure to charge an electric vehicle (which should reduce the payback period).
That is when the more serious research period began with regard to panels, racking, wiring, inverters, charge controllers, batteries, and critical load panels.
I finally settled on a Sol-Ark 12. I was initially considering putting together separate components as this might facilitate future repairs or component replacement. Schneider has a lot of components which work together but the simplicity and compactness of the Sol-Ark won me over. I was lucky to have enough of a budget to afford one. I liked the UL certifications, rapid shut down feature, and so on.
Having a clean and tidy installation was also important to me, being something of a veteran of mechanical rooms. Certain YouTube videos of messy installations really turn me off.

I received the Sol-Ark first of all components. I mounted it in the corner of an unheated but attached “green house room” which was best for access and to protect any batteries from outdoor air temperatures. BTW, this room never gets below 45 degrees F. I installed 6 inch raceways beside and below the inverter. This allowed for wiring from my main panel (#4-3 with ground romex) on the other side of the house, and a location for a critical loads panel and a transfer switch.
I put in a simple two pole 100 amp transfer switch.
For a critical loads panel, I installed a simple 120 amp subpanel to handle critical loads and future expansion.
I had been aware of other critical load panels from Reliance or Connecticut Electric. Having each circuit independently switched between grid and solar seemed really nice, little amp meters seemed pretty cool. Nevertheless, I decided a single large load panel would be better. I could have as many circuits as I wished and not be limited to 20 or 30 amps (at 240 volts). The lack of independent circuit switching concerned me at first, but found that it was not really necessary. One might think it would be nice to put some items on the grid and others not. However, with a hybrid inverter that has AC pass through, this is unnecessary (in my case without any large loads...yet). When in fact the grid goes down, it is simply a matter of turning off individual loads if solar or battery power were insufficient.
A whole panel transfer switch is vital still, just in case the inverter fails.
The solar panels arrived next.
Choosing PV panels was quite the headache. So many choices, watts per dollar is one metric, but even the most cost effective panel can cost a lot to ship. I ended up calling local solar contractors to see if they had any inventory I could purchase from them. All but one said no. I agreed to purchase REC panels from one contractor. The irony of the choice is that when the panels got delivered, they came on a truck from Western Nevada Supply Company from Reno Nevada. What?, what! So ironic, I have had an account with this company for over 30 years. I had no idea they carried solar panels! Needless to say, delivery was free. Furthermore, they carried snap-n-rack rails and hardware for the mounting, so I ordered those independently.
Panel mounting is another aspect that I had to consider. My roof faces due east with a 10 degree slope. This is not ideal. I pictured racking systems to get to the optimal tilt. Well, it turns out tilt racking hardware can be very expensive and can make the panel array susceptible to wind damage. More research revealed that panels are so cheap that it makes more sense to just add panels flat on the roof than to build racks or have a ground mounted array. What made it even better was using the government NREL website to calculate output from an array given location, tilt, and azimuth. https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php
I settled on 8 325 watt panels for a maximum output of 2600 watts (or 2.6 KW).
More research revealed the need for rapid shutdown of panels and inverter to meet code (to protect first responders, etc.) I chose the Tigo Fire Safety TS4-A-2F rapid shut down devices with an RSS transmitter. Optimizers might have been better but I have no real shading issues.
Rails were installed followed by panels. The Snap-n-rack ultra rail really was nice to use. One quibble I have that I have not seen addressed is how anyone manages to get all the panel wiring tucked up to the bottoms of the panels or into the rails with only inches of working room. I need to see a you tube video please!
Batteries were the last thing to consider. I found the 48 volt Gyll batteries one of the better options. Yeah, I saw the David Poz video and fell for it. I realized later they have no UL listing or a long track record, and this may be a problem for me in the future. As it is, this system does not have a permit. I was afraid of all the hoops I would need to jump through, like roof engineering, rail engineering, and so on. So my system is grid tied with no net metering (no sell back to the grid). I am doing things more or less by the book but do not have a strong compulsion to sell back to the grid, for some credit of some kind.
I cannot imagine anything better than some sort of racking batteries in a clean server rack. I had ordered just 3 of the gyll batteries and a 3 space rack. It took a while but I finally received 3 batteries and a 6 space rack. I am glad for the extra space for future batteries. The best thing about the 6 level rack is that it sits perfectly to mesh with my horizontal 6 inch raceway. That means no exposed wiring, which is something that really bugged me about a great number of installations I have seen pictures of. Those big cables running from battery to inverter seem like real hazard if not enclosed.
So far, the system has worked almost flawlessly. Sol-Ark provides software to remotely monitor activity and this is fantastic. I can show off how my system is working from any location. Was I disturbed about a putative connection to a server in China? Yes, I was at first. Now I calmed down. Should I be worried? I really cannot answer that question.
Functionally, I have about 15KWH worth of storage. This allows for running just about everything in the house, with the swamp cooler in the summer sometimes running 24/7. We have AC as well but seldom use it (part of a roof mounted package unit with heating and AC). We could conceivably turn of grid power entirely but have not. I do not mind some redundancy in power delivery.
Without net metering and loads limited to home usage, the system frequently puts out less energy than is possible. So I am now considering an electric water heater and perhaps an electric range. The electric car or truck or both should arrive within the year. I feel the system is robust enough for a lot of expansion.

With the system up and running, I may inquire with the local building department and the local electrical utility what is required to allow for net metering.

overview.jpg

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    951.1 KB · Views: 11
Welcome!
Looks pretty clean. But I did notice mixture of rain-tight 3R, indoor, and surface-mounted flush-mount boxes. ;)
Mine has a bunch of rigid conduit all over, except battery cables in free air.

Grid tie w/o net metering - do you use current transformers for zero export?

2.6 kW pretty small PV array. But about enough to fill the 15kWh battery on a good day.
I might go for 3x battery capacity for lots of PV-direct power during the day plus recharge battery for night.
My own system has about 14kWh usable (AGM) but considerably more PV. With my old inefficient refrigerators it can only make it through a night if other unnecessary things are turned off.

When you get EV's, if you're at work during the day PV won't help much unless you do get net metering. Unless you have two, drive one while the other's parked at home to charge?

Thank you Hedges; there is a mixture of disparate enclosures and raceways....I remember asking my supplier for a surface mount panel, as opposed to flush. He said it would work for both...(me thinking "yeah but it doesn't look quite right"). The inertia of the building process rarely makes me return anything. Transfer switch seems only available as surface mount (and rain-tight), which makes sense.

Yes, (per question about current transformers) I used the limiter sensors sent by Sol-Ark (actually had to purchase the larger sized sensors to accommodate main panel conductors) and programmed the inverter to "Limited to Home Use". So zero export. Although inverter "shows" tiny amounts of current feeding back to grid at times, I suspect this is just "noise" although I have not checked this out with an ammeter.

I started out with a small array just to get my feet wet...Sol-Ark notwithstanding. My loads are just not that great right now. The array does in fact fill the 15kWh batteries during the day and with swamp cooler running most of the night in summer, the battery bank pretty much handles the night time load.

Below is a screen shot of my Emporia Vue data page: 5 to 6 kWh/ day without swamp cooling.

IMG_1469.PNG

EV's will definitely put a strain on what I have now. We are waiting on an Audi Q4 etron which we won't see until next spring at the earliest. We are both retired so day time charging will be fine.

The Psychology of this whole thing has been interesting. I struggled for months trying to justify the expense of this system. I never will but the peace of mind it gives me is considerable, as well as reducing my carbon footprint (in the long run anyway....although local part of the grid has considerable hydro component to it). One aspect is over capacity (PV output versus actual usage). I am suddenly motivated to find other loads....a heat pump water heater looks interesting, and so on.

Wow, I wish I could do the same. Here is mine for comparing. I'm working on the system to fix this. Have nothing yet. No luck on figuring it out yet. Any help is welcome.

Screenshot_20211012-155019.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also fairly new to solar. I have 4 - 100 watt 12 volt solar panels hooked up in series/ parallel to get 24 volts, and a grid tie inverter. Im looking at putting $8,000.00 into a DYI Net metering system. I will design it myself as I get more knowledge. I don't get the battery thing. Not in my net metering system to come soon. I can store power in the grid for 0.10 a KWH for night time usage and a Good lithium battery set up would cost me 0.50 a KWH for many years. I just don't get it, not for me. I have a 14,000 watt Natural gas, propane, gasoline Generator I just ran for 14 days at a cost of 260.00 for hurricane Ida. But hopeful that will not Happy often. So for me batteries have no place in my system. Just a soon just stay on the grid! DYI Solar could take 5 years to pay for itself add good lithium batteries that can go down under 50% and add another 5 years pay off and now the batteries will be getting old! I just don't get it!

My math also said batteries didn't make economical sense (given a pretty reliable grid). More of a luxury item when I had extra money to play with.

What may be worthwhile is a small battery system to keep critical loads (internet box?) operating.
You pay a high cost per kWh, but for small amount of power that doesn't matter.

Another purpose can be to make an island grid so AC coupled PV operates and powers discretionary loads during the day.

What can drive the size and cost of such a battery is the no-load draw of the inverter. Small one sized just for communication gear (UPS) not so bad. My battery inverters draw 25W each, so 100W for my four, 1200 Wh during the night.

If you set up a small inverter/charger with PV, generator can also recharge if needed, and doesn't have to run at night.
Saves on generator noise, wear, maintenance.

I agree with the sentiment that batteries are a luxury that do not pencil out economically. We have never had a grid outage in the last decade and a half other than for a few minutes. It really is something of a vanity project, although I hope it reduces my carbon footprint to some small amount, especially with an EV down the road
Wow, I wish I could do the same. Here is mine for comparing. I'm working on the system to fix this. Have nothing yet. No luck on figuring it out yet. Any help is welcome.

View attachment 68588
I see you have a fairly large load. I am not sure what you want to fix. Too many electrical appliances?

I am also paying for a certain amount of peace of mind.

Having a generator really is the most economical way to go for back up, and I considered one as we have propane. Maybe I have just a little too much disposable income to be driven by pure economics.

My math also said batteries didn't make economical sense (given a pretty reliable grid). More of a luxury item when I had extra money to play with.

What may be worthwhile is a small battery system to keep critical loads (internet box?) operating.
You pay a high cost per kWh, but for small amount of power that doesn't matter.

Another purpose can be to make an island grid so AC coupled PV operates and powers discretionary loads during the day.

What can drive the size and cost of such a battery is the no-load draw of the inverter. Small one sized just for communication gear (UPS) not so bad. My battery inverters draw 25W each, so 100W for my four, 1200 Wh during the night.

If you set up a small inverter/charger with PV, generator can also recharge if needed, and doesn't have to run at night.
Saves on generator noise, wear, maintenance.
I was thinking of 8-12 volt lithium batteries! Plus the invertor and charge controller to get you to house volts

I see you have a fairly large load. I am not sure what you want to fix. Too many electrical appliances?

I am also paying for a certain amount of peace of mind.

Having a generator really is the most economical way to go for back up, and I considered one as we have propane. Maybe I have just a little too much disposable income to be driven by pure economics.
I'm thinking to get solar help but can't find the system I want. Need reliable microinverters and very efficient panels with them (I think), that way I cant do it peace at the time without hearting my budget. Huge panels are hard to layout on my small roof. Small but efficient I need.

I'm thinking to get solar help but can't find the system I want. Need reliable microinverters and very efficient panels with them (I think), that way I cant do it peace at the time without hearting my budget. Huge panels are hard to layout on my small roof. Small but efficient I need.

41 kWh/day in the month you show.
Assuming that is the average around the year, and assuming you have a decent net-metering option,
divide by 5 to get PV system size, about 8kW

A DIY PV system can cost about $1/W. Maybe cheaper, depending on what mounting hardware and electrical you use. PV + inverter will cost $0.50 to $0.60/watt (or less used)

An investment of $8000 plus your own labor for installation might eliminate your bill (except for fixed charges, I pay $10/month)

You showed kWh; what is your bill in $$?

Make a list of your loads, what they are and the electrical ratings. May be able to reduce consumption by replacing or using differently.

More like 80-100 per day. mostly hot water tank, AC-heating, drier, range.->> (about 70kWh). Rest is ok. Bills are not bad at all for that much power.($0.027/kwh/h) Cheapest nation wide. So to pay off $8000 will take about 10 years, this is why I would like to do little at the time.
Question: is ordering panels from alibaba ~20c/wat is a good idea or not so?

Did you say 2.7 cents per kWh?
If so, look for another investment.

My $8k estimate was for 40 kWh/day. If you have 2x to 2.5x that wattage, boost the cost and payback accordingly.

A big order from Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves seems risky.
People were ordering 500W panels direct from China, but more tariffs now.

$0.20/W for new panels would be good, if not poor quality and degrading quickly.
SanTan Solar and other liquidators have large amounts of used panels (some in poorer shape than others), small amounts of new.
I've heard prices from $0.12 to $0.50 for various panels.

The way I like to do PV is high-voltage string GT PV inverter and big array of panels. Started out with 2.5kW inverters, now using 5kW to 10kW models.

Utility rates/rules for grid-tie may cause your bill to go up not down for a small PV setup (forcing you onto time of use rates).
Zero-export is one way to avoid that.

Did you say 2.7 cents per kWh?
This is exactly what I said. But I would like to do my contribution to reducing carbon pollution.
Zero-export is one way to avoid that
Exactly what I have in mind. Any advise in good inverter in about 5KWh range(capable of paralleling) for this purposes? I'm far from feeding back to grid :).

Carbon dioxide is good. That, together with fertilizer and sun, makes plants grow.

Unless you are wealth and want to distribute your money for the good of the world, don't try to be so altruistic.

I put PV generation of power around $0.05/kWh over a decade, $0.025/kWh over 20 years if nothing breaks. $0.030 if inverter needs replacement.

If your saving electricity would reduce carbon dioxide emissions, your electric generation must be by fossil fuel.
Unless you have a heat pump, consider switching to gas (or any other fossil fuel) heat. More efficient than fuel burned and used to generate electricity, with the inefficiency dumped as heat into the air.

I think several of they hybrids including MPP and Sol-Ark do zero export.

You can probably do more to reduce carbon emissions by not participating in consumer society, keep using things you already have. Buy local food. Etc.

Although I could afford to replace them, I drive an old car (gets about 35 mpg) and I have old appliances (because I generate an electric surplus, more efficient ones wouldn't affect my bill.)

Assuming that is the average around the year, and assuming you have a decent net-metering option,
divide by 5 to get PV system size, about 8kW

A DIY PV system can cost about $1/W. Maybe cheaper, depending on what mounting hardware and electrical you use. PV + inverter will cost $0.50 to $0.60/watt (or less used)

An investment of $8000 plus your own labor for installation might eliminate your bill (except for fixed charges, I pay $10/month)

You showed kWh; what is your bill in $$?

Make a list of your loads, what they are and the electrical ratings. May be able to reduce consumption by replacing or using differently.
Good information as usual, I'm leaning towards a Sunny Boy invertor with wind turbine capable. We get a lot of wind in the winter and a lot of sun in the winter.

I'm leaning towards a Sunny Boy invertor with wind turbine capable.

Older model Sunny Boy have MPPT algorithm options for wind/hydro turbine. The newer models only algorithms for PV.
At least for wind, a dump load and voltage limiter is required between turbine and Sunny Boy.

If intermittent wind power is fed through a UL-1741 inverter, whenever power drops to zero the inverter will forget grid had been good, waits for 5 minutes of DC present while monitoring grid before feeding again.

You might want a DC coupled solution for wind.
Of course, if lithium battery and BMS that can disconnect, might still need a voltage limiter. I would think with lead-acid just a diversion regulator and dump load would be sufficient.

Back