diy solar

diy solar

Things you'll want to know starting out.

Sennen

Solar Enthusiast
Hi there! I assume you're wanting to get into solar power, battery storage, inverters, micro-inverters or some mixture of the aforementioned. If not, you're definitely in the wrong forum. If you have a good understanding of electricity and how power flows, you've got a good start. If you have no understanding, well pull up a chair and an NEC book. Here's some things you'll want to know.
  1. First and foremost, this is an expensive hobby. I know what you're saying; "I just want some solar panels and some backup power a bit cheaper, so I'll just do it myself." Good luck once you get that first taste. You'll constantly think about how to optimize your system further, where you can stuff more panels, more batteries, oh hey, they just launched a new line of 500w panels, AND they match my roof color better?
  2. Be familiar with NEC and building codes. The book is expensive. There are many free online versions (up.codes for one) and your local library may have a copy on hand.
  3. Make a plan. Draw it out. Take Measurements. For a full system, you'll need not just panels and batteries. Plan out how much wire you'll need, how many connectors, how much space the batteries will take up. Use the solar array planning tools available here.
    1. Don't be afraid to post your plan here for review. Many do. There are many seasoned warriors of Sol happy to help.
  4. Know your limitations.
    1. If you've hit your limit, take it as a learning item.
    2. If you still can't overcome this limit, hire a professional. Keep in mind many won't be willing to work with product that you supply.
  5. If you hire a professional, ask to see permits prior to them running a single wire.
    1. All of their work (technically yours, too) requires building and electrical permits. If they don't have these, they aren't likely planning on doing it right.
    2. Understand that professionals are only required to meet code minimum. You'll likely want to exceed that level of scrutiny/quality.
  6. For whatever you do, understand fully the risks.
    1. PPE for electrical shock
    2. Never work on a hot system
    3. Tether yourself when on a roof
    4. Never be on a roof without someone spotting (in case you do fall)
    5. Batteries are heavy and awkward. It's easy to hurt yourself picking them up.
  7. Try to buy only UL (US) or CE (EU) listed items. These are tested and are usually higher quality than unlisted items.
  8. Whenever you buy anything, ensure it's capable of handling both the current and voltage you intend to use it for.
  9. The right tool makes all the difference.
    1. Can you strip large gauge wire with a razor blade? Absolutely. You'll likely damage some of the wire, though. There are large gauge wire stripping spinners that make it fast and repeatable.
    2. Can you crimp lugs in a vise? Probably. I wouldn't. Get a good crimper (Hydraulic or the ones that look like giant bolt cutters)
      1. Yes, you should be crimping large lugs. You can technically solder them. This point will start a fight, I'm sure. But crimping when done right is the more consistent method.
    3. Can you guess that your terminals are on at the right tightness? Only if you like fire. Get a torque wrench.
    4. Get a thermal camera. It helps debug any potential failures long before they become failures.
  10. Keep all wiring and connections enclosed.
    1. Rats and squirrels love warmth. Wires are warm and tasty.
    2. This also helps keep things in place and prevent accidental damage. (Also required by code)
  11. Get familiar with your local electrical supply house. They're cheaper and better quality/availability than the box stores.
  12. If you get your work inspected by the local AHJ, do not fight or argue with the inspector. They will tell you exactly any failure points they identify. Be polite and ask any questions of them you think will guide you towards a pass.
    1. If you think you did something to code, get clarification. Know the code you followed.
  13. Just like any trade, it's super easy and tempting to take shortcuts or the cheapest route possible. Oftentimes, this will lead to an early failure. Take your time and have patience to do things correctly. Double check all connections for torque. Tug test all crimps, heat shrink all crimps, make sure all conduit is tightened down, make sure all box lids are screwed on. The proper way to do this safely is expensive.
    1. Class T fuses are easily $40-$50 for a single fuse.
    2. 2/0 wire is $4-$6/foot. 4/0 is $10-15/foot.
    3. Batteries and inverters will likely cost $15K (30kw battery + inverter). Wiring it up properly will be another $500-$1500 (Wire, connectors, fuses, fuse holders, switches, conduit, boxes, wireways, bus bars)
    4. Solar greatly varies in price, but code requires RSD on each panel. That's $50-$350 per panel depending on your chosen method (Simple RSD or RSD+Optimizer or Micro-inverter)
  14. Plan for the future. Only doing solar now, but plan to do batteries or generator later? Might want to go DC Panels to an All-In-One (AIO) inverter.
  15. Be patient with those offering advice. No matter how much you know. That's someone taking time out of their day to try to help you.

You will want to understand the basics of AC and DC electrical theory and application. Also if you are one of those unfortunates that machines hate* you might want to avoid DIY solar.

* Some folks seem to always have stuff that breaks. Never understood it myself until I came to realize that machines like me and want to keep working. But there are people that machines simply do not like for various reasons of their own. Every now and than I do encounter a device that just has a bad attitude towards humanity and is difficult to deal with. I find when that is the case it is best to simply let it go.

Back