diy solar

diy solar

thoughts on a tiny house on our property

I agree with the other poster. Get two 6000XP. This gives you much more available power and also builds in redundancy in case one craps out.

Sounds like you've got a solid plan in place! I've built a similar house for my daughter. Make sure to double-check all your calculations and take the time to set up. It's a big project, but it'll be worth it in the end!
Ha! I think the rule of thumb is to estimate the cost of materials and the. Double it. And then double it again. lol.
radiant barrier doesnt work if something is touching it so you might as well skip it for the walls.

sounds like you are in a cooling climate, not heating
Hmmm do I have my terminology flipped? I though a heating climate was where it tended to be above 70F 20C....

Ha! I think the rule of thumb is to estimate the cost of materials and the. Double it. And then double it again. lol.

Hmmm do I have my terminology flipped? I though a heating climate was where it tended to be above 70F 20C....
Thats a cooling climate since we are actively cooling more than heating. If you have more cdd65( cooling degree days) than hdd65 days then you are in a cooling climate.

You can still have passive solar in a cooling climate though. Just face the largest windows towards the south and provide either vertical or horizontal shading in the summer. For cooling climates you of course want to avoid west facing windows.

For the structure of the house, we started shopping storage buildings. Found most 16x40's are selling for $16k. I found a local builder who will build a portable building on your property in one day. He's said he'll swap to 2x6 on 24" center walls for me and mylar OSB for the roof underlayment for $14.9. I was pricing out the materials and I think I can do the same for about half that price but it'll take us two weekends. In the scheme of things and since I gotta finish the inside anyway, that time is not that critical.

What I've found is instead of T1-11 or hardy board, you can use a product called LP smart siding. It's about $45 a sheet and for and extra $10 a sheet it will come with mylar radiant barrier on it. So this means raidiant barrier on the roof and walls! I expect that 2x6 walls will give us R21. The dutch barn roof will make her ceiling height 10'8" inside so it should feel roomy. I'm going to put awning windows popping out of the roof tin to let a lot of natual light in. She'll have a laundry / mud / inverter room at one end with an overhead storage rack. The kitchen/living room /bed room will have full height ceilings and storage shelf over the bath room for boxes.

Fire away with suggestions.....
Why not do a simple gable roof that will be easier to frame and also to roof? One sheet of r panel will go from eave to peak.

Is the lp smart side specified to double as siding and sheathing? Or does it require sheathing still?

Back