diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on temporarily increasing battery bank size

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Ok so here is the deal... I'm not storing enough power...

1.) Part of me just thinking about temporarily taking my current batteries out of use and putting them in storage (3.2v?)... taking the 16x 302ah and building 4s2p batteries, system... This is a free option... Increase my runtime to 260% of what it is currently.. as well as give me a chance to put these batteries through their paces

2.) Cheap 200ah rebuilt lithium battery, or possibly a pair of 100ah? This is not necessarily a cheap option to consider the lack of function and features and potentially low quality... I imagine this option

3.) Another option might be to buy a couple BMSs and then wire these up but then use... I probably be around $300

4.) of course another option might be to simply by one BMS and 4x 230 amp hours to add to my existing Bank

This is really supposed to be a temporary increase cuz I don't expect to be in the RV more than another 6 months to a year... While we build the house

I suppose another option build my 302ah power, 16s battery and connected to the 48 inverter and run a charger to charge the RV?

My RV solar system is currently spec'ed as follows

-2x 4s Eve cells, each with 200a BMS

-Aims Power ETL rated 3000w inverter charger

-Epever 40a with 3x Hi-Tech 200w panels (around 31 VOC), 3s1p

-Victron 100/50 with 2x 300w split cell, (around 42voc?) 2s1p

As well as (250w) 3x 3s1p strings, each on their own 60a SCC

Most of the time I make more power than I know what do do with, BUT, when running the inverter and mini split at night I tend to be around 40-60% before the sun starts making power... Just by the next day there is a cloud cover I may not make enough power to fully recharge it though

Last edited:
I was being very serious. Yes to "thoughts on increasing battery bank size" and "yes" to 1-4. Nothing wrong with them, but I can't make the decision for you. :)
Dang now I feel like an ahole... My bad sir... I'm just trying to narrow it down... Now power here other than what we generate

Dang now I feel like an ahole... My bad sir... I'm just trying to narrow it down... Now power here other than what we generate

LOL. I didn't take it that way.

I firmly believe in utilizing unused resources if they fill a need. In your case, I would pick the fastest and cheapest option to get the extra capacity.

I would actually use the EVE cells to make a single 2P4S battery with one BMS and then use the 302Ah to build a 4P4S battery with the other BMS. How you have a metric crapton of capacity. Once the two batteries are in parallel, check how much current is passing through each battery. If they're within spec, you're done. 1600Ah FTW!

Back