diy solar

diy solar

My thoughts so far on Aolithium batteries

scrubjaysnest

Solar Enthusiast
With only 1 lithium charger, a small inverter, and old 250 watt restive load cycling 4 new batteries is time intensive.
The according to the BMS's the load is 212 watts, could be it's over 50 years old. The battery charger is a Schumacher SC1654. Higest voltage seen is 14.02 near end of charge cycle. Highest amps 28. Thats the background info. Current and voltage measurement verified with a Klein clamp on and Southwire DVM.
The AOLITHIUM app, not the best. App has to be closed and restarted to see a different battery. It only shows Ah, watts, temperature in C, and high, low, and average cell voltage. The high and low has to be interpreted from a graph.
Liontron app gives better information, but is confused by 4 batteries with the same device name.
Overkill Solar app displays the best info on 1 screen, allows changing the device name and other information. Be careful with this one. It is the easiest app to change which battery you want to look at.
Once the device name is changed Liontron now shows 4 unlabeled batteries. The AOLITHIUM app nows device new device name and as before shows the Bluetooth id for that battery.
The batteries were at 27 to 30% soc and with the charger take about 6+ hours to charge.
The load I have takes about the same time to discharge to 30%.
Customer service is great through Amazon, usually 12 hour turn around. Initially I was unable to connect to any battery Bluetooth, that was fixed by deleting the app and doing a hard shut down. That was also Customer service suggestion and it that didn't fix pull the battery cover and for the blue light on the Bluetooth.
Charge/discharge cycles continue at this time and cell balance is under 10 mV. 1 cell in one of the batteries went into high alarm and shut down charging. Nice to know that works.
Batteries came individually packaged and arrived in good shape. 1 box showed indication of being dropped on the corner but the internal closed packaging did its job.

At the present time when I get done with the cycles I may leave fully charged until they are put in service in April. Not sure why one would store at 50% when my Jackery power station instructions say keep it fully charged and recharge every 6 months.

Checked the new batteries today after resting them a week minus whatever the Bluetooth uses.
All were reporting 100% SOC and 13.33 volts, 1 indicated 13.34 volts. Batteries were at 42 degrees F packed in the boxes they came in.
Battery 1 had the worst delta v between cells at 10mV. Others were 4 mV.
Cells were from 3.332 volts to 3.338 volts, most were around 3.333 volts.
So all in all well balanced.
The charger used was a Schumacher sc1564 on the 30 amp and lithium setting.
After I repaired the 10 awg leads current into the batteries was as high as 38 amps. This charger only puts out "30 amps" for 1 minute then drops to about 14 amps for 2 minutes. The cycle repeats about 6 to 8 times then stays at 14 amps.
Not a very good lithium algorithm I think.
Overall good batteries for the price point.

Bluetooth AOLITHIUM batteries no longer in stock on Amazon.com.
Tried 3 more apps today for jbd bma the batteries have. The ? didn't fully work. Bat-bms works well and looks just like the ?. My bms didn't even try to work. Still like Overkill Solar app the best.

Last edited:
Jackery still use Lithium Ion cells I think. LiFePO4 is recommended to store around 30-60% I think

Testing the new mppt 's out. 2 of the 4 batteries only got to 99.5 Ah with the schumacher charger. While testing the new mppt 's brought both batteries to 100Ah.

Bluetooth AOLITHIUM batteries no longer in stock on Amazon.com.
Tried 3 more apps today for jbd bma the batteries have. The ? didn't fully work. Bat-bms works well and looks just like the ?. My bms didn't even try to work. Still like Overkill Solar app the best.
I have been using the “SmartBMS Utility” on iPhone for more than a year and it works well with this JDB BMS. I can set all the configuration parameters for the BMS and see the passive balancing as it works. They have a web page at www.smartbmsutility.com

Still waiting on my batteries. Sloooooow shipping. Hopefully they make it before the trip to baja.

Hooked 4 batteries in parallel and while testing 3 kW inverter pulled 1.7 kWh from the bank. Final recharge was 2 kWh. Towards the end ran into cell over voltage. Seems to be cell 4 on all 4 batteries. The BMS does shut down charging.
This the first time to get all cells near the 3.417 volts the BMS indicates is 100 % charge.

Mine balanced up ok at the top, i did keep charging voltage low at first. Started at out 3.40 volts per cell and crept up over two weeks to 3.6 in small increments, did have quit a few high cell voltage alarms throughout that process but none since. If the battery sits for a bit they seem to balance up nicely. Under load they deviate a bit, maybe not the best resistance match?

I did a load test on my pair and ran them down to test my inverter cut off. Got down to 20% and my inverter cut out as expected, switched to 200 watts of DC load and ran them down the 10% and one battery hit low voltage cut off on one cell. When i got back to it they had recovered a bit, 3 cells at 3.1 ish and one was 2.9. I calibrated my shunt accordingly to try and avoid hitting that one weak cell.

No complaints, i was not expecting perfect balance or matched cells.

Ran into something interesting. If I use the Overkill app to turn off discharge and turn it back on where the BMS was reporting 100% SOC it drops to between 92 and 94% which agrees with the BMS voltage vs soc table. Finally got one battery above 3.4 volts on all cells by turning off discharge, turn it back on and charge the battery.
Also turned off balance only during charge, let it sit overnight then turn back on and charge. Dropped balance start voltage from 3.400 volts to 3.375 volts and appear to get better balance.

Back