diy solar

diy solar

TIGO TAP Mounting Lication

teal95

Solar Enthusiast
I temp mounted the TAP under the panels on the roof but the electrician has pointed out that it's against code to have the cat 5 running through the same conduit for the roof penetration as the PV wires as it's not rated for that voltage (~450 V), even though it's only in the conduit for ~10". It's mounted on a metal roofed barn. Will it work if I mount it under the roof? It will be within 3" of the box on the panels...

What size is the roof penetration?
Large enough to add a pieceof 3/8 flex in?
And put the CAT5 inside the flex. The flex will be used as a devider between the two.

Roof penetration is a flashing piece designed for a 1/2" to 3/4" pipe that I have a 1" pipe through. With 6x 10 awg PV wire through it there's definitely not room for anything else other that the bare cat 5.

1" pipe with a box under roof, through the flashing into an LB, 1" nipple to exterior box that has the sealing gland the the wires enter through, which is just barely tucked under a panel.

Does 600v cat 5 exist?

You don't need to penetrate the roof for that...(unless metal as stated above)

My TAP sits about ~12ft away from the closest TS4-A-O and works just fine. Granted it's a ground array with nothing interfering between the panels and the TAP but my point is you should be able to run the TAP away from the panels. You could try commissioning 1 optimizer, the TAP and the CCA to test it out...

Last edited:
Back