diy solar

diy solar

Too many options.

So what I hear you saying is; no matter how I wire my panels to the controller, it will always produce about 1152 watts, or they need to be in parallel to maintain the 54.6v.
If I wire my 4 batteries in series, it will be a 48v system and the 100/20 controller can handle that.
Am I getting closer or still missing something?
I'd just add to this, If you give us only half the information, our suggestions will be half valid and you'll end up with a setup that is not even remotely decent in practice at your place, at best.

All of us on the forum here, who are willing to try to help you out with useful suggestions, ask for more information on what are you trying to build/achieve here, for a reason.

Anyhow.

Happy New Year man, best wishes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Are the parameters on this unit close enough or too tight?

EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 40A 150V PV Solar Panel Controller Negative Ground W/ MT50 Remote Meter + Temperature Sensor PC Monitoring Cable[Tracer4215BN]​

40A MPPT Charge Controller Nominal System Voltage: 12V, 24V

Rated Charge Current: 40A

Rated Load Current: 20A

Max PV Open Circuit Voltage: 150V / 138V

Max PV Input Power: 520W (12v battery) / 1040W (24v battery)

Sorry Daxo for the frustration.
What I'm doing here is a bit backwards than what most people will do.
Basically I have four solar panels and four batteries so now, how can I get the most energy out of what I have.
In 2013 when I put a grid tie system on my house, I determined my annual use and sized the system accordingly.
This is just a fun project in the back yard.

Thanks again Sunshine for helping me understand controllers better.
Now I'll just have to research inverters.

Basically I have four solar panels and four batteries so now, how can I get the most energy out of what I have.
You have 1154W of solar that you want put into your batteries.

The SCCs convert the array voltage into something that your batteries will be charged at. You have a "12V" battery bank so it expects to be charged at about 14V.

In order to get all your solar watts (1154W) into your battery, at 14V (your charging voltage), the SCC will need to be able to handle this amount in amps. The number of amps that the SCC needs to handle is:

1154W / 14V = 82A

The Victron 100/20 only charges at 20A so its too small. Needs to be 4x bigger to put all the watts into your batteries. You could get 4 of these and connect 1 panels to each to get 80A.

The EPEver above only charges at 40A so its too small too. Needs to be 2x bigger to put all the watts into your batteries. You could get 2 of these and connect 2 panels to each to get 80A.

The Victron 150/70 mentioned early on, while expensive, it handles about 85% of your array (theoretical watts) in a single SCC.

Bottom line, if you want 1154W into a 12V battery, you need 82A of SCCs.

So does changing the configuration of the panels, 2s2p or 4p only change the total voltage?
Also would wiring the 4 batteries into a 24v system change the total amps?
Or is keeping the system at 12v the most efficient use of the panels?

So does changing the configuration of the panels, 2s2p or 4p only change the total voltage?
Also would wiring the 4 batteries into a 24v system change the total amps?
Or is keeping the system at 12v the most efficient use of the panels?
By "total voltage", assuming you mean array voltage. Yes, connecting panels in series adds the volts. Connecting in parallel adds the amps.
327 watts, 54.7 volts and 5.98 amps
54.7V x 5.98A = 327W (327 x 4 = 1308W)

2S2P array would be 109.4V and 11.96V (109.4V x 11.96A = 1308W)
4P would be 54.7V and 23.92A (54.7V x 23.92A = 1308W)

24V battery, charging at 28V:
1308W array / 28V charging = 46.7A max charging amps.

I think a 24V battery makes the charging amps very reasonable with even a low cost SCC. This would be a good worth considering for sure!

2S2P arrays are very popular. You would need an SCC that will accept about 120V depending on the temps in your area. Panels are rated at 25C (77F) and the voltage increases a little as the temp drops.

I would look for a 24V SCC that accepts 120V and charges 50-60A (or more).

Sorry Daxo for the frustration.
What I'm doing here is a bit backwards than what most people will do.
In 2013 when I put a grid tie system on my house, I determined my annual use and sized the system accordingly.
This is just a fun project in the back yard.

It's all good man. I wasn't frustrated, was merely saying it as it is with the best intentions in mind.

Unless you are very lucky to have perfect solar conditions all year round at solar installation, it's very possible to spec out a perfect system design and have less than satisfactory results than anticipated.

How things work, matching components, and so on, is only the first level of a system design.
It's only once you've spent a couple of hundred at least, built the system, and begun to observe do you start to notice all of the finesse that comes to play in practice.

System design is best done from top-down refinement. Why things like power audits and other considerations are first to be addressed.

Again, if it happens you have perfect solar conditions and got money to burn, it might not be all that bad and can be a good learning curve

Anyhow.

Have fun with the project.

Best,
D.

Too many options​

Ah, 54.7V 5.98A, that gotta be those brilliantly spec 'd-out Sunpower's panels, right?

Basically, you are aiming for a small solar system to power up the essentials only.

Well, in my experience I have yet to personally see PVs with those specs. it would be interesting to see me pushing 110v/6a strings into my arrays...then on to my 150/70 Victron.

And I think I would reevaluate the "4- 12v 100ah batteries". I would do the math and look at a Trophy 48V220E-1 instead.

But hey, that's just me :)

Well, in my experience I have yet to personally see PVs with those specs. it would be interesting to see me pushing 110v/6a strings into my arrays...then on to my 150/70 Victron.
Same here, just wish I could find some available here.

110V/6A strings on a 150/70? Gee... That's a proper 4kW, easily.

And I think I would reevaluate the "4- 12v 100ah batteries". I would do the math and look at a Trophy 48V220E-1 instead.

But hey, that's just me :)

I'm not entirely sure did the OP actually specify what voltage is he aiming for, tbh I was waiting to get more information before I'd have a better look at it.

Certainly, I agree, a single 48V 100Ah battery with a stacking option would be a great start.

Last edited:
I just want thank everyone for their input on this system. I picked up 2 of these SUNPOWER 54V 320w panels for $75 each. (Taken off of a closed Walmart and resold by a reseller.) He has 1000's of these around the country. I picked up mine in Merced California. ) and I have had a difficult time wrapping my head around the different configurations given the unconventional specs of the panels.

OP what did you end up getting?

Back