diy solar

diy solar

Top balancing, a more practical method?

Would it work if to use 1 balancer on two 4S battery banks (with separate BMSs) connected in parallel (all cells are from the same batch)?

Would it work if to use 1 balancer on two 4S battery banks (with separate BMSs) connected in parallel (all cells are from the same batch)?
I would not attempt that. It would effectively creat a 2p4S battery with two BMSs and very small connections between the parallel cells.

Need to connect to one battery at a time. Better value to get two balancers from the start.

Although if the cells are well matched... a separate balancer may not be needed at all. Even the small balance current of the BMS should be adequate for quality matched cells.

I have not tried this

1 balancer to 1 pack is what i ususally do (not that others should too)

i don't run paralleled cells, only paralleled packs. so each pack has its own individual BMS and balancer if added.

each cell only connect to 1 balancer for my build

if you have two 4S battery packs and connect the balance leads to the respective cells in both packs at the same time, a big imbalance between the cells between the packs could in theory cause one of the balance leads to receive a lot of Amps, potential damage risk.

if you can get one balancer per pack or 2 balancers for 2 packs, this is what i would recommend gently.
but also i could be missing details, good luck!

After having done the whole parallel top balancing thing I have come to the conclusion it is a stupid waste of time and mental energy unless you dont have the money to buy this. If you dont then yes, you must parallel top balance but if you can afford the $100 dont waste the time. Install the balancer, charge the pack until the BMS stops charging, stick a bench top power supply on set to 3.65v X the number of cells in series you are charging and walk away. I have done this a couple times now and it is so easy and fool proof. No taking the battery apart and putting it back together and because it is balancing at 4 amps it is super fast.
Wow ... Thank sound like Great option .... Still all good in 2022 ? No Problems ? with ...
NEEY 4A Smart Active Balancer 3S 4S 5S 6S 7S 8S 14S 16S 20S 21S 22S 24S Lifepo4 / Lipo/ LTO Battery Energy equalization

Wow ... Thank sound like Great option .... Still all good in 2022 ? No Problems ? with ...
NEEY 4A Smart Active Balancer 3S 4S 5S 6S 7S 8S 14S 16S 20S 21S 22S 24S Lifepo4 / Lipo/ LTO Battery Energy equalization
Note in the description: "If battery pack voltage is lower than 30V an external power supply is required"

Back