diy solar

diy solar

Top charging from bench PSU

Luk3jay

I've got 4 of these cells which i believe need to be top charged to 3.6v before I build my pack.
I set this PSU to 3.6v and connected to the first cell over 14 hours ago.
When first connected, the voltage showed 3.4v, rising to 3.5v after about an hour.

I just want to double check that I'm doing this correctly? I'd planned to charge all 4 cells to 3.6v, then connect them all in parallel for 24hrs, and then build my pack. Does this sound right? Thank you.IMG_20220311_225739.jpg
IMG_20220311_224227.jpg

You can continue to top balance each cell individually as you are and then put them in parallel and charge to 3.6 to 3.65 volts. The key is to not overcharge the cells. I suggest placing a good voltmeter on the power supply and adjust it for 3.6 to 3.65 volts and then connect the power supply to the cell.

There are some very good documents in the Resources Tab at the top of your web browser in this forum. I have used many of them successfully and appreciate they are available. I have attached the document I used for top balancing.

My favorite way to Top Balance new cells is by connecting the cells in series with the BMS connected and charge with Solar Charge Controller until the BMS trips from a cell overvoltage. Next place all the cells in parallel and charge with a power supply to 3.65 Volts.

I suggest you read the attached top balance document before you go any further.

Attachments

• Top Balance Tutorial (1).pdf
    367.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back