diy solar

diy solar

Tracer 4210AN

BadSide84

Hi guys

I like to understand for safety if this controller is working with 4 panel 12v in series?

Manual say:

Max pv voltage is 100v/92v
MPP voltage range 72v

So the question is:

Four panel 12v in open circuit was 84v and during works are 72v, my setup is 4 panel in series, other 4 in series then parallel. I know power is more then manual in 12v setup but don’t worry because the panel is less then 800w total, is not a first choice panel.

To be pretty sure i like to understand just if someone use this controller in this way.

Thanks
Giuseppe

Last edited:
So you've got 800w of panel on a 40a SCC? Yes, this will work fine, you just won't get more than 600w of power into the batteries, but it'll produce more under low light conditions. It's called overpaneling and is perfectly normal.
my setup is 4 panel in series, other 4 in series then parallel.
So nomenclature puts that as a 4s2p array.

So you've got 800w of panel on a 40a SCC? Yes, this will work fine, you just won't get more than 600w of power into the batteries, but it'll produce more under low light conditions. It's called overpaneling and is perfectly normal.

So nomenclature puts that as a 4s2p array.
So the controller even if you put more then the maximum PV array power, limit the power to 40A anyway?

About the nomenclature yes thanks you I know ?

Depends how cold it gets where you live.

I have a 4210AN with 2x72cell panels in series for around 80-88voc. It usually doesn't get much colder than 3degsC. The highest recorded voc has been 90.19v

I have a 4210AN with 2x72cell panels in series for around 80-88voc. It usually doesn't get much colder than 3degsC. The highest recorded voc has been 90.19v
In north Italy during summer temp is about 30/35° during winter 0/10°

When you talk about temp 3degsC you mean that your controller usually works at this temp?

When you talk about temp 3degsC you mean that your controller usually works at this temp?

No, I'm talking about my lowest environmental temp. Low temps at the crack of dawn increase voc which is what you have to be aware of if your voc is close to the limit of the controller.

Solar panels will often have a temp coefficient value on the spec label. That can be used to calculate the voltage as the temperature drops.

If i were you i would look for the lowest recorded temp in the last 10yrs for your location and use that as a reference.

Last edited:
No, I'm talking about my lowest environmental temp. Low temps at the crack of dawn increase voc which is what you have to be aware of if your voc is close to the limit of the controller.

Solar panels will often have a temp coefficient value on the spec label. That can be used to calculate the voltage as the temperature drops.

If i were you i would look for the lowest recorded temp in the last 10yrs for your location and use that as a reference.
Ahh ok understand ?

Thanks

Yesterday i have connected the new two panel in my old 3s2p setup so now is 4S2P but unfortunately there is a cloudy day today… I just tested a bit yesterday after finish the installation but the day was at 6pm the sun was not in good position anyway I got 22amp, controller is at 43° waiting for a day of sun to understand better about temp anyway if too hot I can setup in a 2s4p setup I think ?

if too hot I can setup in a 2s4p setup I think ?

It's not heat that you have to worry about in a 4s config as heat lowers the voc and lowers the efficiency of the solar panels. In any case the Tracer works more efficiently when the pv voltage is closer to the battery voltage. There are tables in the back of the manual describing this.

If you are concerned about the temperature of the mppt, a small computer fan is all that is needed to help cool it ?

It's not heat that you have to worry about in a 4s config as heat lowers the voc and lowers the efficiency of the solar panels. In any case the Tracer works more efficiently when the pv voltage is closer to the battery voltage. There are tables in the back of the manual describing this.

If you are concerned about the temperature of the mppt, a small computer fan is all that is needed to help cool it ?
Understand thank you

So my idea to put 2s4p is not really bad because my battery is 12v

Back