diy solar

diy solar

Trees block solar

Hidden valley

I live in Wisconsin and would like to install solar on my property but I was told by two solar companies that my property was not right for it due to shading by trees.These companies were only considering roof installations of solar panels. I would like to consider building a ground based system where my property gets sun but I could use some help. Will (Prowse) will you help me design a solar system that makes sense for my property or give me your expert opinion that this really isn’t a good idea for my property?

Unfortunately, Will does not do consulting.
A ground mount system may be possible if you have a good sunny location.
knowing nothing about what you want/need makes it hard to say anything more.

Grid tied, off grid, backup for power outages or what do you want a system for?
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help once you can define your project

You'll need to provide picture of area you want to install the solar or upload picture of a map.

I live in Wisconsin and would like to install solar on my property but I was told by two solar companies that my property was not right for it due to shading by trees.These companies were only considering roof installations of solar panels. I would like to consider building a ground based system where my property gets sun but I could use some help. Will (Prowse) will you help me design a solar system that makes sense for my property or give me your expert opinion that this really isn’t a good idea for my property?
Google solar can show an irradiance image of your address, you can then screenshot and edit to show your ideas.

my house is the tiny spec above the pointer…

Attachments

• 4CAB525A-6325-49D3-9E81-20F0B067F0B9.png
    4CAB525A-6325-49D3-9E81-20F0B067F0B9.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
I zoomed in, and put circles around my house… blue is my house, green is my shop, and red is a field I have that seems ok for a ground mount system.10FB9C81-EC75-4393-8105-FFC35D56EC9B.jpeg

Google solar can show an irradiance image of your address, you can then screenshot and edit to show your ideas.

my house is the tiny spec above the pointer…
This thing is magic tbh.

My house has a ton of shade for most of the day. The neighbor's does not. His certainly is much brighter in the app.

It's estimate for max array size is way off base though. I don't have a whole lot of contiguous roof area.

Unfortunately, Will does not do consulting.
A ground mount system may be possible if you have a good sunny location.
knowing nothing about what you want/need makes it hard to say anything more.

Grid tied, off grid, backup for power outages or what do you want a system for?
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help once you can define your project
Thank you for your response. My house uses 104kw a day and I would like to do an off Grid system. I want to assume 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. Any input you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you for your response. My house uses 104kw a day and I would like to do an off Grid system. I want to assume 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. Any input you can provide would be appreciated.
WOW…
104KWh a day, in 2H of solar… that is a MASSIVE solar build. 52KW of panels… Will likes the 440W panels, 450 each, that is $53,550 is solar panels alone…

This thing is magic tbh.

My house has a ton of shade for most of the day. The neighbor's does not. His certainly is much brighter in the app.

It's estimate for max array size is way off base though. I don't have a whole lot of contiguous roof area.
It is a nice site, but as you can see… if trees are around, it won’t even calculate irradiance for the house. My shop has 800W of solar on it, you can BARELY see it in the image, but neither my house nor shop roof even count on this site. I have a few trees…

WOW…
104KWh a day, in 2H of solar… that is a MASSIVE solar build. 52KW of panels… Will likes the 440W panels, 450 each, that is $53,550 is solar panels alone…
Those numbers make solar a very impractical solution. Hard to imagine a solar array of 110+ panels in a backyard. The cost may not be prohibitive but the space needed may very well be.

Be nice to see what Goggle Solar shows. As suggested above, a chainsaw might help. That 2 hours of sun is a wet blanket on a cold night.

----
Google Solar has not been to my area yet ☹

After charting the annual paths, found a place in the yard that would get the max insolation, if I removed some trees.
Installed it in May, working well so far, first Winter coming up, we will see how much shade the big trees to the South will have.
They are too big for me to cut, will have to hire that done.
Our electricity use in Winter is very minimal, so I don’t expect any problems.
PVarray_yard_layout.png

Much more than that since you're never going to get 52kw from 52kw of panels lol
Not to mention the MASSIVE amperage cable and charge controllers that array would require…
1083AMPS at 48V… most charge controllers max out around 200A, so, ya need 6 of them… and how big is the battery bank? With 2 hours of charging, I’d imagine you want some backup for the days with zero sun… so, three? Four times? 400KWh storage… ouch… that will drain any account…
Battlebornes would set ya back around $200K

Back