diy solar

diy solar

Solar or grid?

Ashton1012

Hello everyone!

I’ve been doing some heavy research on solar the last couple weeks.

I just bought 10 acres in Belfair WA. I was hit with a $25k estimate to connect to the grid, plus the month bill for usage.

I’m exploring a solar alternative. With so many options on the table, I’m hitting paralysis by analysis.

I’m looking for DIY recommendations. I’ve been eyeing 3x 6500w EG4 inverters, and 6x 100ah eg4 batteries. Plus a 18k PV solar array. I don’t have a power bill to reference; my useage last year at the home I owned was average of 650kwh/month. However, I didn’t live there much last year and I can’t see the usage from the year before. The house was also very energy inefficient.

I currently live in a travel trailer. Im Working on getting the power bills from my family member, so I can compare their average useable before I moved onto the property to now, and that will give me a better idea of my current power needs.

For the next two years until I start building, I’ll need enough juice to power my trailer, a shallow well pump, dishwasher and some basic electrical in sheds I’m building. Once I build I’ll need to scale this up, and will likely eventually connect to the grid as a requirement to get my construction loan.

Is it possible to build a system that can provide what I need for under $25k

A little more info. From what I’ve gathered, 3x 6500w inverters, 600ah of storage, and 18k of panels should supply all my needs. I’m second guessing myself, because I reached out to a local solar company to see what they could offer. I was quoted “well over $100k” for what I need. Am I that far off? Or is the solar company just charging crazy high rates for install?

A little more info. From what I’ve gathered, 3x 6500w inverters, 600ah of storage, and 18k of panels should supply all my needs. I’m second guessing myself, because I reached out to a local solar company to see what they could offer. I was quoted “well over $100k” for what I need. Am I that far off? Or is the solar company just charging crazy high rates for install?
Yes, you can do it for a lot less.

Less than $3,000 for 600Ah of battery.

Around $6-7K for panels.

Inverters, less than $5K.

These figure include shipping.

Then you will need mounting/racking, wiring , etc.

Yeah, while a company is going to charge labor and make plenty of money on the job.

You can choose where to spend your money. $25k seems like a very reasonable budget. Considering you are completely off grid, I've got two recommendations:
Use quality components, reliability is important when you depend on the components. I'm not sure I'd go with those inverters. I'd want something with a long history of reliability.
Get a good generator and plan to charge the batteries from the gen in the winter. Considering how far north you are, I don't think you can get away from using a generator at a reasonable cost.

I just bought 10 acres in Belfair WA. I was hit with a $25k estimate to connect to the grid, plus the month bill for usage.
Once I build I’ll need to scale this up, and will likely eventually connect to the grid as a requirement to get my construction loan.
Get a good generator and plan to charge the batteries from the gen in the winter. Considering how far north you are, I don't think you can get away from using a generator at a reasonable cost.
If you've got cheap hydro I'd just get the grid.
Like hwy17 said.

Ok thanks for the advice. I’m leaning towards the grid option but it’s not just cost that’s holding me back- a bit of logistics too.

Power is on the opposite side of the road from me. It’s all underground so I’ll have to dig across the dirt road. Not a big deal, except there’s a gas line that runs in the road. When I get within 3ft, I’ll have to dig by hand. Pipe is 3ft deep, I have to go a foot below it. So total of 6’x4’ deep and however narrow I can get away with. I need a monitor from the gas company onsite. And then when I cross the road, I have a power line easement I have to apply for land use of. It doesn’t cost anything to apply, but again will cause delays. I’m looking at 6+ months before I can get power, and I was really hoping to move onto the property before that.

I’m exploring some options for the trench. I’m waiting for the power company to confirm whether or not they actually need the road dug up, or if I go bore under the road. If I can bore I’ll likely try putting together a DIY hydrovac. We will see if it works!!

Some things to think about will you be permitting the solar? Is it required to have the grid connected to get occupancy assuming your building a home likely this isn't a requirement something to check into. Does zoning allow for a ground mount solar array some only allow rooftop solar. Is there any CCR's that restrict what you can do with the land.. If you get enough sun there I would go with solar in the long run you have something that decreases in cost where grid will only increase in cost.

Washington, what is your plan for heating in the winter?

Water source?

Do you have running water? And a hill? (i.e. micro hydro)

$25k isn't huge, but isn't nothing. Power adds value to the property. In a warmer climate, you could easily get by with PV.

If you do get grid, what are the GT PV net metering options?
How much are utility rates?

30% tax credit for solar is a consideration, if you qualify, and can benefit. Also, ongoing costs of solar are peanuts compared to grid.

I look at the $25k as an additional subsidy for your solar. Maybe calculate the break-even time in years between grid vs solar.

Re-reading your post, you say you eventually will need to connect to the grid for a construction loan... then get the grid now. Price and requirements will only go up.

Or, you might be able to find a lender who is off grid friendly.

Last edited:
Not sure what the grid requirements are for construction, but I can't imagine construction loads are resistive or constant, and starting with a cheap system is only going to result in blowing up inverters. Can you use a generator trailer for construction?

Rather than look for the lowest cost today, I'd look at the most functionality and expandability tomorrow. I'd (I did) start with https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-powe...-18kpv-eg4-powerpro-wallmount-battery-ul9540/ plus panels, racking,, and wiring that'd come out to less than $25K, and you can add parallel inverters and batteries later to as much power and storage as you want.

Not sure what the grid requirements are for construction, but I can't imagine construction loads are resistive or constant, and starting with a cheap system is only going to result in blowing up inverters. Can you use a generator trailer for construction?

Rather than look for the lowest cost today, I'd look at the most functionality and expandability tomorrow. I'd (I did) start with https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-powe...-18kpv-eg4-powerpro-wallmount-battery-ul9540/ plus panels, racking,, and wiring that'd come out to less than $25K, and you can add parallel inverters and batteries later to as much power and storage as you want.
My neighbor built a house across the street with no grid power. Most of his tools were cordless (charged batteries at offsite location), and occasionally he used a generator.

I can't remember if Belfair has decent weather, or if it suffers from typical Puget Sound fog and mist conditions but if it does suffer I would recommend you simply plan to install grid if at all possible. $25K might sound a lot but the $100k+ you were quoted for PV might not begin to supply your needs.

I went to Seattle / Redmond twice and it rained more than it does in the UK :( 🌧️☂️

Back