diy solar

diy solar

Trend toward bigger panels

I'm all for large panels as I need less of them to do more. Simple enough....

Till you factor in the old fart installing them (ME) :)

I can't pick them up. Sitting in front of a computer all day and night work wise and getting old I'm in pathetic shape and I can barely move the 255watt panels I have at ground level. They show to weigh 42.9 lbs on the stats sheet I have. I think they weigh more and I may even get the scales out today to find out for sure but the point is as large as they are I can barely handle them just moving them around.

There is no way I can climb a ladder with them. That's why I'm going to buy 200 watt rich solar panels for my future doings. They are a very lite 26.5 lbs and I can move them easily and I have no problem climbing the ladder with them.

I would love to use the larger panels but I just can't with no help around and you can't pay people to do anything anymore like you used to be able to. At least around here.

Plus the 200watt panels are a bunch smaller than the 255's so I can get more of them onto a given area so I shouldn't come out to bad.

Sometimes the problem with this stuff isn't so much the weight, but the size that works against you. I find it easier to heft around something 60-70 pounds that is fairly compact than something that is 30-40 pounds that is large and unwieldly (like a panel).

Yup, easier for me moving a 140# inverter on a dolly than hand-carrying a 4x8 sheet of 5/8 plywood.

I climbed 10' up a ladder to place 165W Sharp panels on ground mounts, and that was awkward.
The 327W SunPower are on a lower ground mount, was easy to do standing on ground above a retaining wall or walkway below.

Garage roof shouldn't be bad because it is within 4' of the slope above, just need steps.
New house, will have to lift the 8' from porch to roof. With a helper, should be ok.

Sticking with < 350W, at least for now.

When I worked at a rental company there was a ladder elevator, used to lift shingles. Something like that could work well for panels.

60040.jpg

I'm 62 yrs old.
With some thought ahead of time, one can get much accomplished working with leverage, pulley's, ropes, rails, etc, for installing panels on the roof. I rigged long 2x6x16 boards as rails. Rope tie a cradle for each panel and lift to to the roof for handling once lifted on top. I have installed larger 350watt/455watt, 50+ lb panels Solo. It did take a week to accomplish, but was done safely. Just some thinking & planning ahead.

SOLO-PANEL-LIFT.jpg

Yup, easier for me moving a 140# inverter on a dolly than hand-carrying a 4x8 sheet of 5/8 plywood.

I climbed 10' up a ladder to place 165W Sharp panels on ground mounts, and that was awkward.
The 327W SunPower are on a lower ground mount, was easy to do standing on ground above a retaining wall or walkway below.

Garage roof shouldn't be bad because it is within 4' of the slope above, just need steps.
New house, will have to lift the 8' from porch to roof. With a helper, should be ok.

Sticking with < 350W, at least for now.

When I worked at a rental company there was a ladder elevator, used to lift shingles. Something like that could work well for panels.

60040.jpg
Ohhhhh I soooo wants!!!!

diy solar

diy solar
Back