diy solar

diy solar

Tried Venus v2.90 to v3.21 on Raspberry Pi 4B - Appears to have failed

TedH

Today, I fired up my raspberry pi (testing it) and checked for firmware updates available. It showed I am at 2.90 and 3.21 is available. So, having the ability to update while venus os is running, I proceeded. When all was done, I now get the Victron Energy blue screen and along bottom I see a 'Last login:' message and root@raspberrypi4:~#.

I suspect that in the process of updating the SD card, Venus OS stepped on something and it will now not boot from the SD. Should I just reimage the SD? Thankfully, I have a backup SD with v2.90 and have the Raspi back up and running.

Today, I fired up my raspberry pi (testing it) and checked for firmware updates available. It showed I am at 2.90 and 3.21 is available. So, having the ability to update while venus os is running, I proceeded. When all was done, I now get the Victron Energy blue screen and along bottom I see a 'Last login:' message and root@raspberrypi4:~#.

I suspect that in the process of updating the SD card, Venus OS stepped on something and it will now not boot from the SD. Should I just reimage the SD? Thankfully, I have a backup SD with v2.90 and have the Raspi back up and running.

Did you mean to say 3.12? IIRC, 3.20 is in beta testing.

I just updated from 3.11 to 3.12 remotely via VRM. Had no issues.

Did you try that?

Did you mean to say 3.12? IIRC, 3.20 is in beta testing.

I just updated from 3.11 to 3.12 remotely via VRM. Had no issues.

Did you try that?
Yes. Sorry, v 3.12. I tried the upgrade using VRM interface. When it rebooted, VRM didn't startup. Just got the Victron blue screen and the 'Last login:' message and root@raspberrypi4:~#. below that. When I replaced with my backup SD, it displayed this and then the screen switched to the fullscreen Victron blue and then VRM came up. I suspect something was corrupted in the update to the SD card.

Yes. Sorry, v 3.12. I tried the upgrade using VRM interface. When it rebooted, VRM didn't startup. Just got the Victron blue screen and the 'Last login:' message and root@raspberrypi4:~#. below that. When I replaced with my backup SD, it displayed this and then the screen switched to the fullscreen Victron blue and then VRM came up. I suspect something was corrupted in the update to the SD card.

VRM remote console or firmware update from the Device list?

I did the firmware update from the Device List.

1701461938644.png

View attachment 180698
I actually did it from the device itself. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and used the keyboard arrow keys to navigate the VRM interface that the raspberry pi running Venus OS displays on the monitor attached to it.

View attachment 180698
I'm using the Raspberry pi with the backup Venus OS SD card with v2.90. I can see this option above displayed when I select 'Device List' from the remote monitor on my Chromebook. Is this a safer option to upgrade firmware on a Raspberry pi running Venus OS?

I actually did it from the device itself. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and used the keyboard arrow keys to navigate the VRM interface that the raspberry pi running Venus OS displays on the monitor attached to it.

Okay. I think we have a terminology issue:

VRM is the website. It's not the device.

You did an upgrade directly on the device. You didn't use VRM at all.

I'm using the Raspberry pi with the backup Venus OS SD card with v2.90. I can see this option above displayed when I select 'Device List' from the remote monitor on my Chromebook.

THIS is VRM.

Is this a safer option to upgrade firmware on a Raspberry pi running Venus OS?

I have no idea if it's safer. I know it literally just worked for me when I posted.

Okay. I think we have a terminology issue:

VRM is the website. It's not the device.

You did an upgrade directly on the device. You didn't use VRM at all.

THIS is VRM.

I have no idea if it's safer. I know it literally just worked for me when I posted.
You are correct. I did the Venus firmware update on the raspberry pi 4 while on the device using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to navigate using GUImode on the device. I see the option to perform the firmware upgrade from VRM on my chrome book.

I've now performed the update using VRM. Frim VRM on my chromebook, I have confirmed the venus firmware updated to 3.12. However, the raspberry pi is behaving like it did after I upgraded using the other SD card. It starts up and victron energy blue screen displays and the 'root@raspberrypi4:~# ' displays but the machine doesn't finish the Venus startup and does not finish the startup. Attaching a screenshot of what I am seeing. IMG_3804.jpg

My problem may be the connection to the monitor on the raspberry pi 4. When I access VRM on my chromebook, I can access the Raspberry PI (including screenshot). I will try to disconnect and reconnect the monitor.IMG_3805.jpg

To make the gui visible on the hdmi output port, remove the /etc/venus/headless file. Warning, you'll have to do that again after every firmware update - unless you make some script that does it for you. See here.

When keeping the hdmi in Console mode, you might want to get rid of the logo, how to do that is explained here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/67072/raspberry-pi-console-banner-how-to-remove.html

I've restarted Venus OS from the orig SD card and have confirmed I can access using VRM on my chromebook. From the firmware menu, I have booted from v2.91 and voila! I now have monitor enabled. I will study up on the directions to fix the monitor setting from your responses above. Thanks!

I'm trying to use putty to access using SSH and when I key in the IP address and click on 'Open', putty shuts off. Is there a setting I need to update in Putty so it accesses the raspberry pi?

Is this the shell prompt?

Attachments

• IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3804.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Yes. since you have a keyboard attached to the RPi, you should simply be able to type:

rm /etc/venus/headless
After typing in the command above, rasp accepted. I then typed 'shutdown now' and it rebooted and I am UP on v3.12! Thanks! I applied same to my primary SD card so both are now on v3.12. Success!

Last edited:
Back