diy solar

diy solar

Raspberry Pi Ethernet data logging?

TedH

Has anybody explored or set up a data logging hat on Raspberry Pi 4B to collect data from an ethernet cable?

I want to log data from an RJ45 cable that is attached to my Aims 6000watt inverter/charger. The RJ45 currently feeds a proprietary Aims display. My goal is to monitor/track data feed for AC in/out as well as inverter/charger data. I have a Raspberry Pi 4B attached to a touch screen and have keyboard and mouse. Raspi is running Victron's Venus OS. I would like to add a hat, connect the RJ45 wires (5v power) and log the data to an SD card/storage device.

It may be possible - according to this post Aims will share the protocol information. You may have some coding to do!

It may be possible - according to this post Aims will share the protocol information. You may have some coding to do!

Thanks. I'm printing the info.

This could be off-topic, but if you introduce an IotaWatt, you could use the PI to collect data via the internet for any inverter.

I use IotaWatt to collect data on AC output from my AIMS and SGP inverters. This time of year I'm only running the SGP with "I1Red" being L1 and "I1Black" being L2 of the 240v/120v split-phase output. House consuming 3013w from Inverter1 at this snapshot.
1711831471345.png1711831689333.png

Iotwatt has a variety of (pretty easy) ways to extract data - as simple as an HTTP query or auto uploads to DBs with graphing.

The IotaWatt interface itself has simple graphing like this example where I've selected Inverter1 data history for the as 24hrs...
1711831788284.png

Using PHP to extract data from IotaWatt via a URL. Python or other should be an equally small amount of code. See IotaWatt docs "Query API" for URL options - https://docs.iotawatt.com/en/master/query.html#
1711832342046.png

Last edited:
This could be off-topic, but if you introduce an IotaWatt, you could use the PI to collect data via the internet for any inverter.

I use IotaWatt to collect data on AC output from my AIMS and SGP inverters. This time of year I'm only running the SGP with "I1Red" being L1 and "I1Black" being L2 of the 240v/120v split-phase output. House consuming 3013w from Inverter1 at this snapshot.
View attachment 205916View attachment 205918

Iotwatt has a variety of (pretty easy) ways to extract data - as simple as an HTTP query or auto uploads to DBs with graphing.

The IotaWatt interface itself has simple graphing like this example where I've selected Inverter1 data history for the as 24hrs...
View attachment 205919

Using PHP to extract data from IotaWatt via a URL. Python or other should be an equally small amount of code. See IotaWatt docs "Query API" for URL options - https://docs.iotawatt.com/en/master/query.html#
View attachment 205922

This is impressive. I'll check out Iotawatt also.

Looks like I would need to write code. SA doesn't talk Aims inverter/charger.
I wrote the SA folks and they added code for my GoodWe inverter within a couple of weeks. [They had a different GW inverter already programmed, and I pointed them at some OSS Python code, so YMWV, but might be worth a try]

I wrote the SA folks and they added code for my GoodWe inverter within a couple of weeks. [They had a different GW inverter already programmed, and I pointed them at some OSS Python code, so YMWV, but might be worth a try]
If you have the SA contact info, I'll reach out to them with the Aims TTL Communications protocol document to see if they can adapt to support. I'm also checking with others to see if anybody can write or adapt an existing Venus OS driver to query the Aims inverter RJ45 cable connection using the Aims TTL protocol documented.

Has anybody explored or set up a data logging hat on Raspberry Pi 4B to collect data from an ethernet cable?

I want to log data from an RJ45 cable that is attached to my Aims 6000watt inverter/charger. The RJ45 currently feeds a proprietary Aims display. My goal is to monitor/track data feed for AC in/out as well as inverter/charger data. I have a Raspberry Pi 4B attached to a touch screen and have keyboard and mouse. Raspi is running Victron's Venus OS. I would like to add a hat, connect the RJ45 wires (5v power) and log the data to an SD card/storage device.
I am currently reaching out to folks that are writing Venus OS drivers to interrogate using TTL Communications protocol. Most are BMS query/interrogation and would seem to be adaptable to interrogate Aims inverter/charger using the protocol documented (attached). Hoping to make some headway on this soon.

Attachments

• PICO TTL #1.pdf
    236.3 KB · Views: 1
Back