diy solar

diy solar

How Do I Backup My Raspberry Pi Venus (Cerbo GX)?

featherlite

Solar Enthusiast
I now successfully run the Victron Venus software loaded onto an SD card inserted into my Raspberry Pi 4 B. Consequently, the Rpi operates like a fully functional Victron Cerbo GX.

I also used terminal commands to add a soft shutdown feature to the Rpi, which for me, was a grueling process.

All of this was done after several of the forum members coached me through the set up process. I am not a computer programmer, with the result that, much of what I did was “monkey see, monkey do”.

How can I back up the first SD card onto a second SD card?

For example, if my first SD card gets corrupted, rather than having to go through the trouble of flashing a new SD card and taking the time to set up Venus on the new SD card for use in the Rpi, I would like to be able to simply insert a backup SD card into the Rpi and get back to monitoring my system without delay.

I tried merely copying the first SD card onto a second SD card but the second SD card did not work in the Rpi.

As an aside, I have a second Rpi and also set it up as Cerbo GX. The second Rpi also works fine. However, the two SD cards are not interchangeable between the two Rpi. I do not know if there is a work around for that separate issue.

Has anybody here made a backup SD card loaded with Venus for their Rpi?

Thank you for your continued help!

Last edited:
What OS are you using? I assume it's macOS by this post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/h...unning-victron-venus.72655/page-2#post-924377

(I stalked you cuz I don't want to wait a day to answer again)

Typically you can use 1000 different tools to create a disk image. win 32 disk imager or rufus on windows both have an easy save button

Mac has built in dd command which is what I'd use and know how to use. They also have the "disk utility" which I don't know how to use and would have to look at it and read it to figure it out.

The second one is what you want:

Create a disk image from a disk or connected device​

Once you create a disk image you should be able to clone it to any and as many other sd cards you want.. or ssds or flash drives or anything else.
You can keep the image on your computer to use it in the later years too. I'd recommend compressing it as a lot of empty space on OS clones and most textual data can be like 30% of it's size.
You can use 7zip or whatever probably get 8-32gb raspberry pi sd card down to like 1gb

What size of sd card do you have? Cloning it will take that entire size and you'd have to use something like gparted to size that down which is in the advanced category.
Your initial clone will be the same size of the sd card so make sure you have that space available

with dd tool you can clone the sd card directly to another sd card and not use your internal storage of your (what I assume is a macbook) computer.

I'm also willing to show you / watch you do it through video / remote connection if you need more help

gotbeans,

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Yes, I have a Mac and my SD card is 32Gb.

I saw that my Mac does, in fact, have the Disk Utility. When I opened the Disk Utility, I got confused about how to use it and feared I was going to erase the SD card instead of merely copying the SD card. So, I started researching some more and got the impression that Disk Utility would not work with the Venus software.

A guy on another forum gave me a link to the below article that he used to back up his Rpi Cerbo GX on his Mac.
https://beebom.com/how-clone-raspberry-pi-sd-card-windows-linux-macos/

The linked article says that when inputting terminal commands:
Be careful, … entering the wrong parameters here can … destroy the data on your drives.”
That warning is scary stuff to a Rpi and terminal command noob like me! LOL!

I cannot thank you enough for your offer to show me how to proceed.
Unfortunately, it looks like the holidays may have me jammed up until the first of the year.
When I free up, assuming you are still willing and able, I will private message you for further guidance.

Again, thank you, thank you!!

So, I started researching some more and got the impression that Disk Utility would not work with the Venus software.
What do you mean? It clones the data on the disk, bit by bit. Whatever is on it is irrelevant

The linked article says that when inputting terminal commands:
Be careful, … entering the wrong parameters here can … destroy the data on your drives.”
That warning is scary stuff to a Rpi and terminal command noob like me! LOL!

I cannot thank you enough for your offer to show me how to proceed.
Unfortunately, it looks like the holidays may have me jammed up until the first of the year.
When I free up, assuming you are still willing and able, I will private message you for further guidance.

Again, thank you, thank you!!

Yea if you do dd backwards it'll write the blank image to the sd card instead of the sd card to the blank lol
I'll take a look at disk utility too though before showing you that, since it might be easier for you to learn..

yea just let me know whenever you're free it'll probably only take a few mins but might not see your msg immediately

And you don't need to buy anything else to make it work?
I've never used this cerbo software but I really doubt it requires much hardware. So that being said I'd recommend some older pi2 or pi 3 used for 1/4th the price

lots of tutorials

but no that isn't all you'll need

Back