diy solar

diy solar

How Do I pair my iPhone with my GX Raspberry Pi Running Victron Venus?

The Victron connect app detects the PI automatically if your phone and the PI are on the same network.
Yes, the Victron connect app automatically sees my pi on the "Device List", but i think that is via Bluetoooth:

1700135831639.png

When I click on the "Raspberry Pi 4" icon in the device list, this image appears:
1700136094840.png
With the Venus software SD card loaded into the Pi, I can no longer use the external mouse or the external keyboard like i could with the Raspberry Pi software SD card loaded into the Pi. Below is a screen shot of what i see on the external monitor connected to the Pi with Venus loaded:
1700136650515.jpeg

Robbert,
Thanks you for hanging with me and for your continued help!

Yes, the Victron connect app automatically sees my pi on the "Device List", but i think that is via Bluetoooth:

View attachment 178079

When I click on the "Raspberry Pi 4" icon in the device list, this image appears:
View attachment 178080
With the Venus software SD card loaded into the Pi, I can no longer use the external mouse or the external keyboard like i could with the Raspberry Pi software SD card loaded into the Pi. Below is a screen shot of what i see on the external monitor connected to the Pi with Venus loaded:
View attachment 178081

Robbert,
Thanks you for hanging with me and for your continued help!
Maybe it is an idea to get out of bluetooth range (or just turn bluetooth in your phone off) and try to connect via the Wifi network. It should see it as a networked device as well.

just turn bluetooth in your phone off
try to connect via the Wifi network. It should see it as a networked device
I turned off bluetooth, and went to my network but the Pi, loaded with the Venus software, does not show up on either my Iphone or my laptop.

So, I removed the Venus SD card and installed the Raspberry Pi 4 SD card into the Pi. Now, with the Raspberry Pi software, I can see the Pi connected to the same WiFi network that is connected to both my iPhone and my laptop.

However, neither my laptop nor my iPhone show the Pi as an available WiFi connection.

My WiFi network connection is named CXNK00886F2D and shows up on all three devices.

So, I removed the Venus SD card from the Pi.

Now, with the Raspberry Pi SD card running the Pi, below is a photo of what I see on the external monitor connected to the Pi:

1700145438508.jpeg
As you can see, running the Raspberry Pi software, the Pi is connected to the WiFi connection named CXNK00886F2D, and I can serf the web using the Pi.

No joy.

Thank you Robbert!

I think I have a deeper problem than just the Iphone because i cannot read data on my laptop at the VRM site.
So, I started a new thread regarding my laptop problem at

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...pi-with-macbook-pro-laptop.72793/#post-924297

I would be very grateful if you would please refer to that link. Otherwise, I am afraid I am going to burn you out. After we solve my laptop problem, maybe we can revisit this thread.

Thank you!

Ok, I think I get it. Tried to recall how I did it. I did attach a couple of screenshots.
First of all, it is my understanding that you can access your device via your mac-book when it is running.
if true, you could try to follow the steps as in the attached PDF.

I think you first should connect the Pi to your VRM account. I included a couple of steps in the PDF how to do that.

I think you first should connect the Pi to your VRM account
Thanks robbert,

My Pi is already "installed" in my VRM account.

did that using the Victron connect app on my laptop.

in the PDF
For some reason, i am unable to connect to "venus.local" using a typical internet search bar. I asked a friend to try on his Windows computer and he also was unable to connect.

If you do not mind, please go to this link where I am in the process of explaining how far I have gotten on my laptop in the VRM portal. Sunshine has also been helping me. Maybe you can join in on the discussion there.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...pi-with-macbook-pro-laptop.72793/#post-924297

Thank you!

The only way you can have a "venus.local" is if something is providing that address. Remember everything is actually an ip address like 192.168.0.100 or something. So venus.local has to be translated dns wise. This isn't going to work on a laptop of course but on the phone the victron app could be adding the venus.local dns translation for you. So the victron app would have to be running to create the venus.local address for you in order for the browser to work like that.

Finding out what address the pi has and manually entering the address should get around it for the laptop.

This is all based on everything is hooking up to your wifi router. If your connecting to the pi directly wifi wise then venus.local will work.

When I say connecting directly I mean your looking at available wifi devices on your phone and picking the venus os pi as the wifi connection.

Finding out what address the pi has and manually entering the address should get around it for the laptop.
Thank you for the reply.
I think I need to close this thread and try to solve this problem at the other ongoing thread at

Otherwise, it will be too confusing for me and everybody.

Crowz,

I think your continued input on the other thread will be invaluable. In the meantime, I will focus on how to find out the Pi's ip address. I think i might have seen it somewhere

Back