diy solar

diy solar

Trolling motor LFP/charger settings (no solar)

tbenz

New guy here.
My use case for LFP batteries is strictly to run my trolling motor for fishing (in Northern MN). I'm just getting set up and researching the best settings for my use. Even though I won't be using any solar, this forum seems to be the premier resource of experts and knowledge of LFP batteries and related equipment. So I thought I would reach out to you guys.

My new setup:
-2 - 12v/100A LFP batteries in series for my 24v Minn Kota trolling motor. Bluetooth BMS with cold weather protection
-on-board charger is a Victron IP67 24v/12A charger
-Victron BMV 712 monitor

Previous usage with lead acid batteries:
I fish 1-2 times a week in the summer months. Battery usage varies from minimal to depleted, depending on the day. When I returned, I plugged in my on-board 3 bank MinnKota charger and left it plugged in. The charger stayed plugged in all summer (and winter when the boat was in storage) Batteries were always at full charge and ready to go.

Questions regarding my new setup:
1. Victron charger settings. The settings found on this forum expectedly appear to be predominantly for solar systems with constant charge/discharge loads. Will these same settings pertain to my use with the on board shore power charger being the only source of charging with infrequent discharge cycles? I would like to have at least 95% capacity available every time I head out. What settings would achieve this (current settings in parenthesis) with regards to:
-Absorption v (28.8)
-Float v (28.4)
-Storage v (26.8)
-Absorption Duration: adaptive or fixed (adaptive)
-Absorption time (2hrs)
-Tail current (.1A)
I've believe I've read that no matter the settings, the charger will stop after a given amount of time. All the modes - including storage- have time limits. Is this correct and if so, leaving the charger plugged in all summer with infrequent discharges will be ok? I plan on removing the batteries in winter and keeping them in my heated shop and monitoring them. I understand the cell imbalance that can occur with series connections and will be monitoring them with the BMS app and correcting as necessary.

2. BMV - Even though I have BT BMS's in my batteries, this will give me "at-a-glance" info. I believe I can figure this out and adjust settings to work with my ultimate charger/bms settings.

3. BMS settings. These are the pertinent values at this time:
-cell under/over volt 2.5/3.65 (pack 10/14.6)
-Balance start 3.4v
-Balance precision .015mv
-balance enable (on)
-charge balance only (off)

I understand the desire to preserve battery life with moderate settings but my priority is to have the capacity available when I need it. I also can't always anticipate when I'll be going out. It's quite often a "moment's notice" situation.
What are your thoughts considering my use case, strategy and settings? Thanks so much in advance!

Does your charger really have a "storage" setting?

How often does the motor get used?

I would absorb to 27.5 and then float is a bigger question. Either 27.2 or 27.

But ideally in this application I would absorb to 27.5 and then terminate charging completely, if you can do that.

It does indeed have a storage mode:
My assumption is that this is for lead acid but not sure if/how it can be disabled or how to set it to work with LFP. With regards to reading that storage mode will terminate at a pre-determined time - I'm not real sure about that anymore. It *may* run in this mode indefinitely.

I use the motor 4-5 times/month May through September. I use it daily on my 2 trips to Canada every year for a week at a time each. It's during these 2 weeks that the motor has historically been used until battery depletion on a daily basis. And it's during my recent trip that my lead acid batteries let me down. My fault for assuming they would be fine as they were only 2 years old.
Thanks for the advice hwy17!

diy solar

diy solar
Back