diy solar

diy solar

trouble finding a 60 amp, non fusible Disconnect Safety Switch that'll accept 2 GA Wire

Related: I've wondered why people say run large diameter wire when these controllers/inverters have small lugs. Electricity is often explained using water and hose analogy- aren't those tiny lugs a choke point?

Selterm and Anchor make some heavy duty lugs so you can get as much copper as possible contacting the unit.

But yea, it seems pretty silly to run a giant wire to a tiny connection.

Selterm and Anchor make some heavy duty lugs so you can get as much copper as possible contacting the unit.

But yea, it seems pretty silly to run a giant wire to a tiny connection.
WY Treasure, I wish we didn't need heavy wire. The run from Inverter to Main Panel is 230'....voltage drop calculations called for 2 awg wire to stay under 3% (actual math comes up @ 2.9%) Running 240v with 47.5 amp output

Electricity runs on the surface of the conductor, not through it. So, it's capacity has to do with the amount of available surface. Lugs generally have a lot of surface.

WY Treasure, I wish we didn't need heavy wire. The run from Inverter to Main Panel is 230'....voltage drop calculations called for 2 awg wire to stay under 3% (actual math comes up @ 2.9%) Running 240v with 47.5 amp output
Smaller wire can be used if you can up the volts, or amps with more panels. Then settle for 5% or 6% loss. Which is more cost effective, $8,000,000 spent on wire or $1,000 spent on panels?

I completely understand the desire to be efficient and not waste the energy produced BUT there is a point of diminishing return.
If I got all that correct (except the $$), that will be my smartest thought of the day. ?

Smaller wire can be used if you can up the volts, or amps with more panels. Then settle for 5% or 6% loss. Which is more cost effective, $8,000,000 spent on wire or $1,000 spent on panels?

I completely understand the desire to be efficient and not waste the energy produced BUT there is a point of diminishing return.
If I got all that correct (except the $$), that will be my smartest thought of the day. ?
This is for a 240v ac circuit. No other options.

WY treasure, the cost of the wiring ended up not too bad....the 2-2-2-4 Alum Service Cable (run indoors, 85') was $1.80/ft. The bury 2-2-2-4 AL MHF, (145') was $2.08/ft....PLUS, I had a use it or lose it rebate of $100+. Via the voltage drop calculation, we just had to go with a 2-2-2-4 on the AC run

To sweeten the deal...I was able to purchase the Panels at cost straight from the manufacturer (Heliene 400 watt panels @ $00.42/watt). I had to go to plant and pick up the panels, but it was a trip to the general area we were going to, anyway.

Last edited:
WY treasure, the cost of the wiring ended up not too bad....the 2-2-2-4 Alum Service Cable (run indoors, 85') was $1.80/ft. The bury 2-2-2-4 AL MHF, (145') was $2.08/ft....PLUS, I had a use it or lose it rebate of $100+. Via the voltage drop calculation, we just had to go with a 2-2-2-4 on the AC run

To sweeten the deal...I was able to purchase the Panels at cost straight from the manufacturer (Heliene 400 watt panels @ $00.42/watt). I had to go to plant and pick up the panels, but it was a trip to the general we were going to, anyway.
Nice, that did turn out perty sweet. Where is that plant? I may want to be getting away from all the below zero temps heading at me.

I'm in the Big Horn Basin....it's 56 deg. right now...will be 8 for a high Monday and -2 for a high Tuesday.

The Heliene plant is in Mountain Iron, Minn. Very close to Hibbing, MN

Cool, but I thought I was in the Big Horn Basin.
It's 40 here now and that's the last time we will see that for a week. We're getting the same crap ?
No road trip for me.
In my Basin we have the Black Hills to the East and The Big Horn Mountain Range to the west.

Cool, but I thought I was in the Big Horn Basin.
It's 40 here now and that's the last time we will see that for a week. We're getting the same crap ?
No road trip for me.
In my Basin we have the Black Hills to the East and The Big Horn Mountain Range to the west.
We've always called your area "Thunder Basin" ...at least E. of Gillette. W. was considered the "Powder River Basin". "Our" Basin is on the W. side of the Bighorns

We've always called your area "Thunder Basin" ...at least E. of Gillette. W. was considered the "Powder River Basin". "Our" Basin is on the W. side of the Bighorns
Yup, you're correct. I was taking liberties with my definitions of basins thinking no one else was in our state, this is Thunder Basin. I thought you were in Minnesota and there was also a Big Horn Basin there. My other half, "Boss Lady" will be heading for Duluth in a bit. Might have to send her with my truck so she can get a deal like yours.
Would you mind providing a link for the supplier?

www.heliene.com

the "point" person there that we worked with was Matt Heaton.

I believe the best "deal" were the Heliene Bi-Facial Panels that are offered in several different wattages... and you have to purchase at least a pallet qty (I believe that equates to 26 panels).
Heliene is a Canadian manufacturer that opened a plant in Minnesota so.....USA made!

Back